PDA

View Full Version : AI vs. Tamoxifen

Marlys
06-24-2008, 07:06 AM
I am having a lot of joint pain so asked my new medical onc about possibly changing. Her suggestion is to stop the arimidex and start tamoxifen. Last week I saw the radiation onc and she suggested aromasin.
I am at a loss about taking tamoxifen since I am almost 70 and have been post menopausal for over 30 years. Has this happened to anyone else? I am inclined to just keep taking the arimidex. I will see her in 2 weeks as the previous information was relayed over the phone by her nurse.
Any ideas or comments?
Love & hugs,
Marlys

PinkGirl
06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Marlys

I've gone through something similiar and decided to stay
on Arimidex. After 2 years, the joint pain has improved;
it's still there but I can live with it.

I just don't like the idea of going on Tamoxifen.

Patb
06-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I also was told I could go on Tamoxifen instead of
arimidex which is giving me bone and joint pain. I
decided to stick with it and have been swimming or
water walking and am feeling some better. I just
feel the arimidex is better for me. Maybe Femara
would be a good choice. I know it helped Jean.
patb

Becky
06-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Switching seems to help alot of women. Arimidex and Femara work in the same (biochemical) manner whereas Aromosin works differently. In the end, all 3 supress aromatase (that helps convert androgen to estrogen). Therefore, theory is that Aromosin would not cause the same side effects as Arimidex or Femara.

Why suffer if you can switch to another AI? Only you can answer to how you really physically feel and whether or not to switch or switch through all the AIs before trying out Tamoxifen.

Hopeful
06-25-2008, 06:22 AM
There is some evidence that Her2+'s should approach Tamoxifen with caution: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32737&referrerid=1173

Hopeful

dhealey
06-26-2008, 04:22 AM
I had problems with Arimidex, aromasin and then was switched to tamoxifen. Developed a rash from this. I am now on Femera and am happy to say the only side effect so far has been some sligtht weight gain. Like you I had already gone through menopause and questioned taking the tamoxifen, but as it turned out I was allergic to it anyway. Best of luck.

Marlys
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Well, I took the plunge and changed. There is still pain but not as aggravating as I was having with the Arimidex. I thought I would give it at least 2 or 3 weeks before posting about it. I am glad I switched as what I am experiencing now is much more tolerable.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

PinkGirl
07-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Marlys
I'm glad the switch to a different AI has made a significant
difference......and it's really nice to see you posting again.

The kids are in the mail, heading back to me!!!