PDA

View Full Version : Lipophilic statins protect against breast cancer recurrence

Hopeful
05-28-2008, 06:11 AM
http://breastcancersource.com/breastcancersourcehcp/6096_33480_0_0_0.aspx?

Hopeful

Melissai
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
What are the names of some of those drugs? I am not familiar with that class of drugs? Thanks, Melissa

donocco5w4
05-28-2008, 11:47 PM
The Statin Drugs lower blood cholesterol by interfering with the production of mevalonic Acid the first step in cholesterol biosynthesis. Lipophilic means fat soluble as opposed to hydrophilic or water soluble.

The Lipophilic statins are Mevacor (Lovastatin) and Zocor (Simvastatin) and to some extect Lipitor (Atorvastatin). Hope this helps a bit.

Paul

R.B.
05-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Interesting - Thank you for that - I had wondered how statins worked and where it all fits in - I am a miniscule bit wiser. It is all so interlinked and complex every door opening onto another.

Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 5 (4) , 378–387 doi:10.1111/j.1582-4934.2001.tb00172.x

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1582-4934.2001.tb00172.x

The beneficial effects of statins are the result of their capacity to reduce cholesterol biosyntesis, mainly in the liver, where they are selectively distributed, as well as to the modulation of lipid metabolism, derived from their effect of inhibition upon HMG-CoA reductase. Statins have antiatherosclerotic effects, that positively correlate with the percent decrease in LDL cholesterol. In addition, they can exert antiatherosclerotic effects independently of their hypolipidemic action. Because the mevalonate metabolism generates a series of isoprenoids vital for different cellular functions, from cholesterol synthesis to the control of cell growth and differentiation, HMG-CoA reductase inhibition has beneficial pleiotropic effects. Consequently, statins reduce significantly the incidence of coronary events, both in primary and secondary prevention, being the most efficient hypolipidemic compounds that have reduced the rate of mortality in coronary patients. Independent of their hypolipidemic properties, statins interfere with events involved in bone formation and impede tumor cell growth.