PDA

View Full Version : to worry or not to worry

Joy
05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi guys, it is me, the nuthead. I saw the onc on thursday and my last CMP showed an elevation in alk phos and a slight elevation in AST or ALT now can't remember which, the other is normal as is everything else. I was pretty upset about it as they have been all normal for so long. Would any of you know if these could be affected by oophorectomy, faslodex, hormonal flare, herceptin, and or zometa? My hopeful self wants to think that some of the elevation has to do with the hormonal flare as I did have some pain in bone spots shortly after beginning this treatment. Can't seem to find a lot out there about that though. I really hope it is not progression related. And I know that faslodex can take 8 weeks to work, we just don't want to lose any windows of time in case I can do DM-1.

I could really use your brains as I know you are all so wise. Thank you and happy long weekend!

Bill
05-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Hey Little Sis! I'm sorry I can't help with your question, but I know someone here can. Try not to worry too much, honey, alot of meds. can cause fluctuations in the liver enzymes. Love ya, Brother Bill

BonnieR
05-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I can't answer your question. But don't call yourself a "nuthead" because you are worrying. It is what we do best sometimes. Especially over long weekends.
I am sure someone here will be able to offer some insights for you.
Keep the faith.

tdonnelly
05-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi Joy,
My Internist explained to me that when the Alk Phos is elevated it is due to bone problems-in my case it seems to be degenerative arthritis in my knees. Mine has remained high for 4 months now. He ordered a GGTP-blood test to futher check the liver. I hope this helps a little. Take Care.
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 10/2006 HER2+

sassy
05-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Joy,

I'm not a propeller head, but since zometa affects the bones, it may have something to do with it.

Hope you can enjoy the weekend.

chrisy
05-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Joy,
Lots of things can cause these to fluctuate, and if bone stuff causes the Alk Phos to elevate, I'd say you may have found the culprit. You didn't say how high, or what your doctor had to say about it. I find that lots of times I freak and the doctor just laughs. I never want to see any * on my bloodwork! So, since this is easy to say, I'll say it: Don't freak unless your doctor tells you to!

By the way, should you get into a T-DM1 trial, be forewarned that it does cause elevation of these

Soccermom
05-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Chrisy...I have to comment on your "I never want to see any * on my bloodwork".... I think we should get T-shirts made up to that effect ! Its so true! I just got my results back last week from my 6 mo check up and I immediately looked for those "*"!
JOY , you are anything BUT a nutcase, hope you figure this out with your Oncs help!
Marcia

harrie
05-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Joy, my bilirubin total and sometimes my bilirubin direct, had fluctuations for about a yr after my chemo. It would go just a bit above the range of normal. For example if the range was 0-0.9, mine would be 1.3. I would look at the bottoms of my hands and feet and would swear it looked a bit too yellow. Maybe it was in my head and normal since I am Asian. My oncologist was not a bit alarmed and sure enough, I finally got within the normal range after a while.
I don't know if this info helped, but take it for what its worth.