PDA

View Full Version : any Stage IV ever have benign liver lesions

kk1
05-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I am so scared, just got a message that my 6mo routine CT scan shows two 15mm liver lesions in my remaining right lobe. They are described as hypodense indeterminate. I have a PET scheduled for monday morning.

Has anyone ever had this not be a recurrence? This will now be the third time I have gotten the "dreaded" call. I've been 15 months NED since my liver resection and I really thought I had beat the beast, as I had almost made it 4 years on only Herceptin and and an AI without it showing up anywhere else other than the original left lobe which they removed. My CTC's have remained at 0 the entire time so I was really thinking we were keeping everything mopped up. How these stinking cells can hibernate for so long is really amazing.

I keep hoping that maybe it is some type of scare tissue or something.....or could I develop a simple cyst in the regenerated lobe. It's hard to be positive given my track record......so if you ever had a Pet for liver lesions and had it be fine after all I would sooooo much love to hear from you.

I guess I need to start following the latest trials again too, so let me here what's new for liver mets.

I am so sad tonight but I know I will somehow find a way to pick myself up and battle this yet again.

take care all
kk1

Joan M
05-15-2008, 07:05 PM
In 2005 I had a CT scan of chest, abdomen and liver which showed a nodule in my liver. The report recommended a follow-up MRI of the liver, which showed the nodule to be focal fatty tissue.

I had had previous CT scans of the abdomen, but the liver never showed any nodules.

I can understand your concern, but it could be something like a fatty nodule especially since you've been taking a lot of anti-cancer drugs.

My liver counts, etc. were normal.

I'm praying that all will be well for you and you'll continue to be NED.

chrisy
05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry, I'm not a poster child for the result you are hoping for on the PET, but try not to panic. It could be a cyst or something else not cancer related. I see you suggest that it might be "scare" tissue - I know that's a typo, but it is an accurate description anyway, isn't it.

Whatever news you get with the next scan, it is information you need - either that you can breathe easy again, or that you need to suit up again for the battle. If that's the case, you've been there before and you of course know that you have lots of options.

Several people here have been researching a new treatment which involves radioactive spheres placed in the liver (I think it's called SIRT), there's also RFA and of course lots of "chemical weapons". If need be, you will be able to find out about all of that.

Based on what has been seen on the CT, your oncologist will probably say you have "minimal disease" - that drives me crazy because of course from my perspective even one cancer cell is too many - but this means you have options and time to consider them.

Hang in there...and please let us know what you learn.

love,
Chris

Roz HUNTER
05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi, I also had "something" on my liver according to CT scans for about 9-12 months. It is now gone.

kk1
05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
My dancing partner left me again ;(.

Got the PET results, the good news is that only 1 of the 2 lesions showed activity. The strange news is that they see activity on my Thyroid too. I am guessing it's relatd to my Hyshimoto disease where my immune system attacks my throid....bit they are not sure so I am now off to see an endocrinologist too.

It will be Tykerb/Xeloda for me.

Faith in Him
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Dear KK1,

Sorry it came back. But you beat if before and you can do it again. I hear Xeloda and Tykerb is a very good combo.

Take care,
Tonya

tricia keegan
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry too this was not the news you wanted to hear and just wanted to wish you well as you face this new "bump"...I hope the regime you're starting will have you back to NED in no time.

fullofbeans
05-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Dearest KK1,

I am so so sorry about your terrible news. I take this very personally indeed.

There was an article not so long ago that showed how laser treatment were as effective as surgery (but as you know from seeing me) much less invasive and could be out of the hospital the same day. It may be something you may wish to consider once tumours under control with chemo combo.

Lots of love and a big hug

ElaineM
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi,
Hang in there. By the way, maybe you will want to ask the doc about your liver enzymes in your blood chemistry (CMP) blood test. If something not so nice is going on in your liver the liver enzymes might be abnormal.