PDA

View Full Version : Spider bite

fauxgypsy
05-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi y'all. I have been lurking lately. I have been busy in the garden and everytime I planted a flower I thought of Michelle. I am trying to find a "real job" with benefits so I have been getting my resume together and also getting my art website up. I have also had problems with phlebitis in my right arm that seems to be connected with, first tamoxifen, and then arimidex. Will be starting coumadin so that I can try to take arimidex again. The phlebitis gets in the ways of me typing.

Then Friday night a brown recluse bit me on my right shoulder. I killed the spider and then found the bite. I spent several hours Sat. at the emergency room because I had a systemic reaction. I developed a rash all over and my face was beet red and swelling. I had no idea how bad it could hurt. I am still taking bendryl and medrol, and it helps some. I am just hoping that it doesn't make the lymphedema worse. My shoulder feels like someone hit me with sledge hammer. I am also hoping that I avoid the flesh destroying aspects of this. The nurse came into the room right before I went home and told me my wrinkles in my forehead were coming back. Then she said that in this case it was a good thing. It helps to see the humor.

I am still NED as of my last test and so very thankful for it. When things start getting to me I remind myself of how much worse things are for so many of you and how y'all get through it all with lots of love and humor and strength and it helps me past the dark side of all of this. Thanks.

Leslie

michka
05-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Hi Leslie,
you seem to be having a hard time with lymphoedema. You really did not need this bite. I have a different type of problem with my arm so I cannot help. Ladies, did you ever have such a terrible reaction?

I hope to see your art website soon!
Michka

nitewind
05-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Oh my gosh, Leslie, that's terrible. One more thing that you didn't need. I don't know about you but I'm scared to death of spiders, don't know how you mustered the courage to kill it. I'll bet this is the one and only time you were glad to see those wringles (lol). I'll keep you in my prayers.
Hugs

MJo
05-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Thank you. It's a reminder to all of us who have our hands in the flower and vegetable beds.

fauxgypsy
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
The spider bite is better. Now the area on my arm that they kept saying was phlebitis may be MRSA (methycillin resistant staph), of course nobody agrees on anything so I am taking Bactrim and waiting to see if it goes away. They couldn't culture it, because it is not on the outside. I usually have a lot of pain when it appears but not this time. Maybe the prednisone is keeping the swelling down. By the way, I was in bed when I was bitten. The lymphedema is usually confined to two fingers and part of my hand but occasionally my arm starts swelling. But I am better. Thanks, everyone.

BethC
05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Yikes, I hope you get better soon. Wishing you well,
Beth

NanaKaren
05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
MRSA can be nasty. Stay on top of it. Hope they make up their minds soon and you get the proper treatment. Nana Karen

Joan M
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Lesli,

You've had a lot to deal with lately between MRSA and the spider bite. A few years ago, one of my brothers was bitten in the leg by a brown recluse spider (or as his son would say: but not reclusive enough). He did have skin necrosis and needed a port in his arm and antibiotics. It finally cleared up and he is fine now. He had no other reaction.

I'm glad though that you're still NED!

Joan

fauxgypsy
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
If they are right, and if you know my story, you have reason to know that I am not all that trusting of doctors, it makes sense. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 extra days because of a low grade fever they never explained and I have had fever and chills off and on since my mastectomy. I also had a lot of pain in my hips that they couldn't explain. I have had this outbreak on my arm several times now. I am not through with this. From what I read there is a blood test they can do and I am going to request it. In the meantime I will take my Bactrim and wait for it to get better. what got me is the doctor trying to say this was probably a community associated infection rather one I contracted in the hospital. I have been in and out of hospitals and doctors offices for a year and a half now. And good old medicaid has decided that I have no more doctors visits until July. I am so frustrated with the system.

Leslie

Bill
05-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Oh, sweetie, you have had so much to deal with, and now, the spider bite. As you know, the Brown Recluse bite is no joke. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Bill

fauxgypsy
05-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I feel ashamed complaining (whining) when so many of you are sicker than I am. I told my doctor once that I knew I wasn't his sickest patient but that I was going to do everything I could not to become that patient. It just seems that some of the problems I am having now are more the results of them not listening or not paying attetion or just being wrong. Of course the spider bite does not fall into that category. Thanks for listening.

Leslie

Jackie07
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I was bitten by some tiny bugs during chemotherapy last fall. The redness crept all the way to my elbow in 3 days. Luckily we went to the doctor on the 4th day and I was put on IV with antibiotic right away. It took another 10 days worth (or 2 weeks?) of oral antibiotic to clear the infection. And that's when I started the lymphedema treatment - wrapped up in gauze - now wearing compression glove and sleeve.

Hope you feel better soon. It does require patience.

MJo
05-19-2008, 07:38 AM
I was working in the garden yesterday and felt a sting. I now have a swollen right eye. Talk about taking my own advice!! I'm sure I'll be fine but it's a comfort to know that I have a checkup with my family doctor on Thursday. Some little bug was angry at me for pulling up its weed home.

fauxgypsy
05-19-2008, 09:25 AM
When they wrapped my arm my blood pressure started climbing so that pretty much eliminates the sleeve. So far, it is better. I believe the swelling and pain in my arm may have been something else. I am taking coumadin now and that may help. I really had made my mind up to stop the arimidex and my oncologist talked me out of it for now.

MJo, The garden is worth the bugs, isn't it. My bite is getting better. I hope yours is. We are gardening on a shoestring this year but I had a lot of plants that I had rooted and some to divide so we made a new bed anyway. We put up a Martin house last year but a Great Crested Flycatcher moved in instead. Shes back this year with friends. And we have lots of tiny tomatoes. I LOVE our garden. A garden teaches delayed gratification so well. The world would be a better place if everyone gardened.

Leslie

Mary Anne in TX
05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
You know what, Leslie, that is a great thought about "if everyone gardened! I think you may just be right on! Glad that you are better. Thanks for making time to share with us. ma

Vi Schorpp
05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
you are so strong! I probably would have had a heart attack if I found a brown recluse on me -- especially in bed. I don't even do well with potato bugs...I'm glad to read that you are getting better. I'm happy you, and others, get so much out of gardening. Where I live we are overrun with deer, coyotes, and the occasional fox, so gardens arent' done as easily. Take care and I hope you find the position and benefits you're looking for.