PDA

View Full Version : Chemo Dosage Reduced

tousled1
11-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I've been on Taxol, Carboplatin combo with 3 weeks on and 1 week off; Also Herceptin weekly since July. My blood counts (red, white and platlets) have been dropping severly and I've had to miss 3 treatments due to low counts. Thursday I went for treatment and saw my oncologist as well. Her feeling is that the Carboplatin is what is playing havoc with my blood counts. Her recommendation was that we either reduce the dosage of Carboplatin or cut it out completely since I've been having such a good response to treatment. My last scan showed great improvement in the lung nodules and the brain MRI was clear. I wasn't ready to cut out the carboplatin completly since it does pass through the brain blood barrier. What we decided to do was go with the lower dosage of Carboplatin and keep the Taxol the same. My Carboplatin is now 150mg. Hopefully this will help my counts and also help me have a better quality of life. I will have my next scans in January.

weezie1053
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Kate, I have learned so much from your posts. I admire your strength and how you candidly share your diagnosis which, in turn, enables us to learn more about BC and its treatment. I, for one, will continue to keep you in my prayers because I have learned God does listen to our prayers.

Louise

TSund
11-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Kate,

Sending good thoughts your way. Have you tried the astragalus and reishi? They seemed to really have a positive effect on Ruth's WBC. The ones she took were Gaia liquid extract caps.

Terri

Sheila
11-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Kate
You amaze me, you are always so upbeat. I am glad to hear you will stay on the carbo as it is getting to the brain, but with the reduction, hopefully your counts will rise...you are always in my heart and in my prayers Kate. You give me strength from your posts!

dajawood
11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Kate, same thing happened to me with Taxotere. Doc reduced to 60% and gave me Neu shots to keep white blood cells up. Good luck with next set of scans. Mine are next week.

Vanessa
11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Kate,
Carboplatin seems to be a really hard core chemo. Of course, I am no expert, but it sounds like you made the right decision to just reduce the dosage. Here is to a better quality of life.

caya
11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Kate,

I am praying that the new chemo regime works well and does give you a better QOL. Hang in there Kate, you are such an inspiration to me and I am sure many others on this board.

all the best
caya

Mary Jo
11-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Hi Kate,

You truly are a pillar of inspiration here. Thank you for keeping us up to speed on your treatment because we care so much about you. I hope reducing your dose of carboplatin does the trick as far as counts go.

God's Peace,

Mary Jo

dhealey
11-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Kate, you are an inspiration to us all and so knowledgable. I will praying that the lower dose does the trick for you as quality of life is just as important as quanity.