PDA

View Full Version : pathology

gumoore
06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
My pathology came back on my mastectomy with a residual ductal carcinoma in my left breast with clear margins; it's my lymph nodes causing me some angst. I had 5 of 8 test positive for metastatic disease, no external nodal involvement and no lymphatic involvement.

My oncologist was disappointed, but I don't quite know what it means, he hasn't been the most clear. We're not doing any more chemo/rads, I'm just on tamoxifen and herceptin.

Have I survived my disease? Am I good? Am I still in deep doo-doo?

Questions my oncologist needs to answer - I know. Just venting a little.

<HR align=left width="50%" SIZE=1>Gayle

<SUB>Live Strong</SUB>
IBC dx August 9/06
chemo August 11/06 - January 8/07
IMRT rads 5 weeks
surgery May 1/07 bilateral mastectomy (left modified radical, right simple)

Bev
06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Don't know as I had surgery then chemo. I'm guessing this means the chemo wasn't as effective as they would have liked. I'm hoping someone who had the same treatment and results can reply. You may as well call your Onc rather than stewing and guessing. Good luck, Bev.

Catherine
07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I did have chemo first, then bilateral mast, and then 33 rads. I do not know what your current situation means with your lymph nodes. Wish we could find you an answer while you wait to see your oncologist again.

From diagnostic biopsy, I was told I had mulitfocal tumors and axillary lymph involvement.(her2+++ and stage IIB) After chemo, I got the lucky news that my tumors had been shrunk where they looked like scar tissue. Same for my lymphs.
After surgery I was told I had clear margins, 14 lymphs removed (3 postive) and they did not say I was NEd or cured. Doc just seemed pleased.

Not sure this will help you, but just want you to know we care. Please make a list of questions for your doctor and write the answers down as he answers your questions. Have someone go to the appointment with you.

All the best, Catherine

tousled1
07-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Gayle,

I had chemo before surgery and had 14 of 26 positive nodes. After my surgery I had rads and a year of Herceptin. I'm doing fine now.

gumoore
07-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Thank you for your responses. I have an answer: it's residual disease and my onc believes it might increase my risk for reoccurrence.

I continue to take each day as it happens and refuse to worry about what might be.