PDA

View Full Version : starting Herceptin soon

tsiet
02-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Hello,
My name is Teri and I am 42 years old. I was diagnosed 5 years ago(2002) with IBC. I with through the regular chemo for 4 months, had a masectomy and then did more chemo for 4 more months and radiation for 8 weeks. I seem to be sailing through until last Aug. when I was told I now had bone mets. At first we tried Tamoxifien and Zometa for 4 months but it did not work. I have just finished 3 weeks of radiation because I was in a lot of pain so they thought it would help reduce the pain. I am scheduled to have a port put in my arm tomorrow so I can start receiving a low dose of Taxotere and Herceptin in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect with Taxotere and Herceptin. I have seen some of the posts and it looks like I might be in for the long haul.

storyteller
02-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi Teri,
Also an IBC survivor, I had both taxotere and herceptin. Taxotere wasn't fun, at all, but then I had heavy dosage along with another drug (name escapes me right now). Mild dose would probably be entirely different story.

As for Herceptin. Piece of cake. No side effects....zero reaction. Took it for one year every 3 weeks.

Promising news is that these worked for me. That was 2 years ago.

Remember, we are never alone but surrounded by the spirit that we collectively create.

Jeanne

tousled1
02-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Taxatore is rough. I had 4 dense doses and experienced a lot of bone pain in addition to neuropathy. The premed - Decadron - was terrible. I would be wound up for days and then all of a sudden it was like walking into a brick wall. On Decadron I couldn't sleep and then after it got out of my system I was exhausted and would sleep for a couiple days. All that being said, Taxatore is a great drug for treating cancer. It shrun my tumor to almost nothing. Good luck to you.

storyteller
02-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Teri,

The decadron, for me, was NOT terrible. And I didn't experience much pain and had no neuropathy as result of Taxatore. All this to say, we all have different reactions to same medications.

I wish the person who responded with all her painful details would have said her final thoughts first. That being, these drugs really work. I had a whopping size cancer and now I don't. There were many, many unpleasant (some more than others) days....but I am here!!!!

Just try and wrap your mind around the good results and stay focused on getting rid of the cancer. As the late and great IBC survivor and author Mollie Ivans said, "I don't think cancer gives a rat's ass if I have a positive attitude or not. But, it just makes ME feel better to have a good attitude." She lived a very long time with IBC and had a very good quality of life. My mentor!

You can do this.

LindaC
02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I agree with you!I have stage 4 her2 pos breast lymph liver& early bone.Started treatment Dec.15.06 My tumor was 4.3 and now its all gone after 4 treatments.I have a very positive attitude and a lot of faith.I am eating a lot of greens whitch have proven to give me more energy and keep my blood work in order.I have not experienced any side effects except hair loss.I did not have surgury.

Sandy H
02-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I had it and it wasn't bad for me. The steriod was worse. I had the steriod cut in half so I could sleep at night. First night I would take benadryl to sleep as I figured that was better than a sleeping pill. Wishing you well. We are all different and so have to try it and see what happens. I am IBC and going onto 6 years so something is working. Keep us posted because we care and love you. hugs, Sandy