PDA

View Full Version : cancer is back

sally
11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
My doctor told me that I have active cancer but they don't know where. He is saying this based on tumor marker tests. My blood work has been normal for over 2 years. Is it reasonable to say that I have active cancer solely based on the blood work? Sally

lisahammo
11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi Sally

I would hope that he has ordered some further tests for you, such as a CT scan, bone scan or MRI, to find out what is going on.

sally
11-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Lisa, Yes I had a PET scan about 6 weeks ago that came out great. I just had a liver MRI that also looked good. I am having a brain MRI on Tuesday. I have PET scans every 4-6 months. Are CT scans better? Sally

tousled1
11-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Sally,

My understanding is that the PET/CT scans are better than a CAT scan. How high have your markers gone up? Sometimes just an infection will make you have a high reading. Have you had the Serum HER2 test? It seems to be a more reliable blood test than the tumor marker tests.

chrisy
11-26-2006, 05:14 PM
If your tumor markers have gone up, they usually retest to see if they continue to increase. You did not say how elevated yours were, if its' only a little it may be nothing.

Elevated markers would indicate you should get follow up testing/scans as you are doing.

sally
11-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I didn't ask how high they went up. I know they went up at least the last two times it was checked. Which is every three weeks. The last time it was checked it went up more than the previous time. Sally