PDA

View Full Version : stage IV and bcoming a doctor

Johanna Johannsdottir
11-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Hello my friends,

Long time since I posted but I read the site regularly. Wanted to share with you a story of my friend. DX 8 years ago at the age of 40 and 31/2 year in remission. She developed bone mets and has been on Femara. Last summer she started Xeloda and Navelbine due to more mets in bones. (she is not Her+)
When diagnoised stage IV she asked herself: What do I really want to do. So she started her doctorate in Iceland and Scotland and tomorrow she will defend her essay in the University of Iceland "The development of children's ideas about the body."
Amazing women everywhere.

best regards

Jóhanna

Sheila
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Johanna

Thank You for sharing.....she is an inspiration to all of us that the sky is the limit.

Vanessa
11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I love to hear stories like that! I agree, she is an inspiration!

doh2pa
11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
A wonderful and hopeful story! Thanks so much for posting this.

Donna

jhandley
11-21-2006, 05:08 AM
Hi
I was doing my PhD when dx the first time (2001); took a year off for treatment and then since I was still alive wrote up as a remote student in my home state. As a single mum of a 4 year old with severe and frequent asthma it was difficult but I managed by "taking one day at a time". When my thesis was examined it rated in the top 20% which was pleasing and I also received a letter from one of my examiners whose wife had late stage BC who was impressed by my efforts.

I also competed in Australian nationals championships for slalom canoeing whilst on chemo (taxotere) and due to my weight loss (10 kg after 8 months chemo) was only 5 sec off the Australian team and won 7 medals in various categories.
I was also able to compete in Australian Masters Games and win 3 gold medals this time beating some previous Australian champions who did not have my excellent training regime.
Cheers
Jackie

TriciaK
11-21-2006, 10:08 AM
What inspiring stories, Johanna and Jackie! It reminded me that I too got my doctorate in psychology after my first round of cancer. My husband always said the first cancer slowed me down just long enough to go for the doctorate, and the second mets slowed me down enough to write a book on marriage with him. I did finally retire from active practice, but I am still writing and doing all kinds of artistic things after my third mets in 2004. I think it is all part of the healing process and has been a blessing to me. I am so impressed by all the women on this website who are active in so many ways, physically, mentally and spiritually. I am proud to know you all! Hugs, Tricia