Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
chrisy

Exclamation Genentech update on T-DMI early access program

Genentech has informed us that screening of new patients for enrollment
in T-PAS (T-DM1 Patient Access Study) will be discontinued on
September 6, 2011. Please read this message from Genentech for details:

"This is a difficult decision, but we believe continuing with T-PAS enrollment
would make it difficult to enroll the clinical trials and collect the overall
survival data we believe will be needed for full trastuzumab emtansine (TDM1)
approval in the future. People currently enrolled in T-PAS will
continue to receive trastuzumab emtansine per the protocol.
In addition, Genentech is opening a new Phase III, registrational clinical
trial for people with previously treated HER2-positive mBC (third-line
setting, known as the TH3RESA clinical trial). Screening of new patients in
T-PAS will be discontinued on September 6. This coincides with the
opening of enrollment of the third line trial, TH3RESA, for at least one U.S.
site. TH3RESA will help support FDA approval of trastuzumab emtansine,
as it is designed to confirm if trastuzumab emtansine can improve the
survival of people who have already been treated with other HER2-
targeted medicines. Closing new enrollment in T-PAS was a difficult
decision. However, we believe it is in the best interest of the majority of
people with HER2-positive mBC, as this is necessary to help us conduct
the clinical trials needed to support FDA approval so that access to T-DM1
will not be an issue."
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure

Last edited by chrisy; 07-25-2011 at 12:00 PM..
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
chrisy

Re: Genentech update on T-DMI early access program

Some additional, bottom line info not clear from the "release" above and not ALL bad news:

1. Patients who ENTER screening for a T-PAS (EAP) before September 6 will be able to enter the T-PAS if they qualify. So if you're on the fence, my advice is get the ball rolling now, there is still a chance to get in.

2. Gene is still working on amendments to the T-PAS so that patients who are IN one of the EAP studies can roll over into an extension study or another study and continue to have access to T-DM1 if they are stable and tolerating treatment with T-DM1. The effect of this is there will be about double the number of trial sites, thus reducing the travel burden especially for Boston/NY and Northwest area patients.

3. The new 3rd line MBC study (TH3RESA) which will open in August/September has the same "inclusion" criteria as the T-PAS did (prior anthracycline, taxane, capecitabine and herceptin and tykerb regimens). The main difference is that this is a randomized study so patients might not be randomized to the T-DM1 arm. BUT it is a 2:1 randomization so you have a 2 in 3 chance instead of 50/50.

Overall my personal opinion is that I do understand that the requirement to show OS (overall survival) benefit complicates efforts to give patients access - and that the main goal is to not jeopardize the ultimate approval of TDM1. For me, the finger points to the FDA as the barrier to access although I know there are others who disagree.

However I am exceedingly disappointed and frustrated that this means additional delays and reduced access for those who need it NOW, not in another 3 years!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
schoonder

New 2-arm multi-center T-DM1 trial set to get underway by September.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...m=t-dm1&rank=9
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
StephN

This may be the new study I heard about yesterday at my followup visit to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.

But I understood that it is for FIRST LINE mets treatment. So, perhaps I got it wrong or this is not the same trial.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
hutchibk

The trial Chrisy linked is the new phase 3 that will start enrolling soon and opening soon I believe. It will be available in many many locations.

I have initiated inquiries already this week w/ folks about moving my treatment back to Texas. Saw my home Onc today and he believes that he/his clinic will be getting this new phase 3 trial and that I may be able to get my TDM1 TPAS treatments there... I hold out hope cautiously, but never count on it until the deal is sealed. If so, it would save us a bunch of travel money, but I would miss my Denver clinic and doctor sooooo much. They are stellar, but so is my home doctor and clinic. Sigh. It's rough having too many good choices! I wish everyone had such problems.

I hope all who are interested and qualify will start the ball rolling NOW! It is a great drug.

I agree 110% Chrisy, that the finger points to the FDA as the barrier to access

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
kykeon22

I'm worried and concerned about the starting of the Theresa phase III trial, does this means that all stage IV breast cancer her2 must wait the end of this trial and its results in order to get access toT-DM1 or there is a hope for the drug being approved sooner than the daunting 3.5 years time frame for the trial to be closed?

I'm not sure what this means, but how did the things go from fast tracking, to 1-2 years waiting and now this whooping 3.5 years or more delay?

She has been dignosed in February 2008 BC state IV, left breast multiple nodes size 5 cm, mets lungs and liver. Er+ Pr+ Her neu +++.
3/2008 - 10/2010 Herceptin + Aramidex NED
10/2010 recurrence lung met, pleural effusion, toracentesis
11/2010- Tyverb + Navalbine NED
08/2011 CA-15-3 = 90 scan
08/2011 Scan revealed reccurrence lung met, tiny metastasis on the pleura and pleural effusion.
4 pills tyverb, mytoxantrone once ever three weeks, and Aromasin.
Tykerb and taxol, sever allergic reaction
Tykerb taxotere
Herceptin, perjeta, gemcitabina
C- diff, bad diarrea
Halevan and tamoxifen, tm down from 1200 to 130

kykeon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
hutchibk

It means that if you fit into the inclusion criteria of the trial, you can get into the trial. Otherwise, one must wait until they gain FDA approval.

That was my story 8 years ago when I was first diagnosed and did not fit the criteria for the Herceptin phase 3 trial, and did not get it when I was first diagnosed. I had to wait until I recurred to get Herceptin.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
schoonder

kykeon22
Roche has indicated that by mid-2012 they expect to file for approval of T-DM1 based on results from the Emilia trial.
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
yanyan

I signed the petition as well. Can't believe it takes this long to bring a life saving drug on the market. I feel fortunate that herceptin is already available when i was diagnosed in 2011. But again, i feel so sad for those whose lives could have been saved by this drug. I am thankful to the researchers who devote themselves in saving human beings. We, are so tiny in this whole universe yet we are so powerful because we acheive things that were considered impossible. From pennicilin to cancer fighting drug, from a boat to airplane. I am amazed when i was lying on the chair looking at the sky the other night.
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
hutchibk

UPDATE as of today, 9/15/2011, from Genentech:

Genentech would like to provide an update on the protocol amendment to the T-DM1 patient access study (called T-PAS or TDM4884g) that may allow some patients enrolled in the study to receive T-DM1 closer to their homes. We submitted the proposed amendment to the FDA on August 8, 2011, and have received no questions or concerns to date that would require re-evaluation or revision. As a result, we are proceeding with this amendment. All of the study sites involved have been informed, and the next step is for each site to approve and implement it within their own institutions.

The T-PAS protocol amendment provides T-PAS patients the option to enroll into another, ongoing Genentech/Roche study (called the “extension study” or TDM4529g), which, in essence, doubles the number of sites and locations where T-PAS patients can receive T-DM1.. This option is only available to patients currently enrolled in T-PAS. Transferring to one of the extension study sites is optional and available to patients who have completed at least six cycles (18 weeks) of treatment, are determined stable by their doctor (i.e., not progressing and tolerating T-DM1 without major side effects) and meet other required criteria for the TDM4529g study. Current T-PAS patients interested in receiving T-DM1 at a site closer to home should contact the T-PAS study coordinator at their current site. The study coordinator can help determine if one of the extension study sites is closer and begin the transfer process to the new site. Since the amendment requires IRB approval at each of the original T-PAS and extension study sites, some sites may be able to accommodate the transfer of T-PAS patients more quickly than others.

People not enrolled in T-PAS but still interested in T-DM1 should talk to their doctor about their eligibility for the other T-DM1 studies currently enrolling patients.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Adriana

Dear Chrisy,

Agree! Why the delay, even my oncologist does not understand why the FDA has not approved this drug as of yesterday!

Love,

Adriana