HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Debra

Zometa

Quick question. Is it common for doctors to prescribe Zometa to "prevent" bone metastasis or is it usually prescribed when one "has" bone metastasis? Thanks in advance for any replies. The internet has not helped answer this question and I like to be somewhat knowledgable when I see my oncologist as I have learned (from this site) that sometimes we know more then they do!

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Westcoastgirl

Re: Zometa

Did your oncologist have a bone mineral density test done after you completed your chemo? Often chemo pushes us into osteopenia or actual osteoporosis. I was given Zometa as my bone mineral test had edged over into osteoporosis. I could tell however that my oncologist was very pleased to be able to give me Zometa as he felt that it would offer yet more protection against bone mets. There is also data out there that suggests Zometa works against breast cancer along different pathways than Herceptin so again another bit of insurance. I suspect that your oncologist is thinking along the same lines as mine. He probably feels he wants to make sure he has attacked this bc on every angle possible to him. All the best, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Debra

Thanks Carolyn for your input. I haven't visited with my oncologist yet but will.
I am osteopenic according to my bone density studies and have been on Boniva. However, I have been hearing and reading a little about Zometa but what I have been reading steers towards women that have bone mets. A friend of my was just prescribed Zometa and she does not have mets so that sparked my interest. If I have to take something any for bone loss I am thinking Zometa would be a double whammy in a good way as you as well indicate it's benefit of possibly decreasing the probability of bone mets.
Again thanks for the info. Any side effects that you experienced from it?

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Westcoastgirl

I do not have bone mets and hope never to have them. My onc, when he suggested Zometa quoted the current research and I cannot quite remember it. Something like 1000 premenopausal women were studied and the number of bone mets they experienced in that group was reduced by I believe 30%. Perhaps some of the more savy women on here will have more exact data for you. I have also read about the other pathways that Her2 can use and that Zometa is one of those blocks. They are also suggesting that to prevent bone mets Zometa should be given in smaller doses more frequently and that is a question I have for my onc on Monday as I am being given the standard treatment of once every 6 months. It is an infusion of about 15 minutes and the first time I had a reaction similar to my experience to the chemo drug, Taxol but the subsequent infusions were without reaction. Search Zometa on this site and see what others have said. Many of us are on it. Best wishes.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote