HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Lani

Exclamation New figures (from one cancer center) of incidence of cardiomyopathy from herceptin

much higher than reported from the clinical trials, earlier reports--

J Card Fail. 2009 Oct;15(8):651-7. Epub 2009 Jun 27. Links
Trastuzumab-induced cardiomyopathy: not as benign as it looks? A retrospective study.

Guglin M, Hartlage G, Reynolds C, Chen R, Patel V.
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33618, USA. mguglin@health.usf.edu
BACKGROUND: One of the recent advances in the treatment of breast cancer is trastuzumab. However, a major side effect of this medication is cardiomyopathy. Our objective was to determine the incidence of trastuzumab-induced cardiomyopathy and the rate of discontinuation of trastuzumab in a clinical setting. METHODS AND RESULTS: We retrospectively reviewed the records of all women treated with trastuzumab at the Moffitt Cancer Center between 2003 and 2007. Cardiomyopathy was defined as symptomatic heart failure or a decrease of ejection fraction by >or=10% from baseline or to <50%. Statistical analysis was done with Fisher exact test, t-test test, and Wilcoxon signed rank test. Cardiomyopathy developed in 52 of 156 (33.3%) of patients being treated with trastuzumab. In the adjuvant group, 23 (19.5%) of women permanently or temporarily discontinued therapy secondary to cardiomyopathy. CONCLUSIONS: Cardiomyopathy is a common side effect of trastuzumab that leads to discontinuation of treatment in a significant proportion of patients. Further studies are indicated to establish the ways to predict, prevent, and treat cardiomyopathy to provide patients with maximal therapeutic benefit of trastuzumab.
PMID: 19786253
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Hopeful

Re: New figures (from one cancer center) of incidence of cardiomyopathy from hercepti

Interesting, but this is a retrospective study covering all patients treated, which would include early stage and stage IV patients, who no doubt had a lot of chemo. Also, given the time frame, many likely had the original regimen of herceptin + AC, which was later demonstrated to be especially hard on the heart. Hard to tell what the take away from this would be.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Lani

Re: New figures (from one cancer center) of incidence of cardiomyopathy from hercepti

they did differentiate the rate of cardiomyopathy in those treated adjuvantly (19.5%) vs all those treated for ie those treated adjuvantly AND those treated for metastatic disease (33% of ALL patients treated).
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
StephN

Thanks, Lani. ALL the numbers here are cause of pause, but what can we do about it now?

I hope these figures will be used in revised warnings, if they ever do such things.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
DianneS

This is concerning.

I have had consistent echocardiograms of 70% LVEF function which is great, after 16 herceptins.

Does the cardiomyopathy develop during herceptin use, or months after herceptin has been stopped?

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
DanaRT

Dianne,

I do not know the answer to your question. But my last MUGA scan was six months after my last Herceptin infusion. It was fine so my onco said I would not need another MUGA. I suspect that heart function is followed for a brief time after Herceptin.

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
MJo

I only got 36 weeks of Herceptin because my Muga score declined 16%. Doctor advised not going for a full year. I think he stopped me because I was Stage I. My friend had the same oncology team as I did and was Stage 3. Her muga score declined to 43 but they still kept her going for a whole year. Both of us have had echocardiograms since, and we're fine. The cardiologist told me that, in his experience, serious damage from Herceptin shows up within a year.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Lani

rather than relying on anecdote, there are several good articles on cardiac side-effects of herceptin following large numbers of patients with MUGAs and/or echos and following their response to treatment of the cardiac abnormality/or none . I am enroute today so may not be able to post them now, but as I recall one was by Sharon Hunt and Melinda Telli of Stanford but if you go to PubMed and enter herceptin cardiac or herceptin cardiomyopathy I think you will find a few. Until later...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Lani

Just popping in "herceptin cardiotoxicity" into PubMed I get 198 articles

Nice to know they are not ignoring it!

actually some of the articles that come up are for sorafenib and other targeted agents, so don't fret
Old 10-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
Paris

I hope that oncologists become more aware of this side effect as was not the case with mine. I think anyone who received a/c chemo and or herceptin should be seen by a cardiologist and followed regularly to head off any problems before they become harder to deal with. I am still glad I was able to get herceptin but it is not a drug without side effects as some doctors would have you believe.
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote