I have a question about getting our energy
levels back after treatment. Maybe I just
want to rant a bit.

While on chemo I could not have gone to
work to save my life. I was sick most of
the time. I finished the shock and awe
chemo in March 06 and finished herceptin
in January 07. I am still struggling big time
with fatigue. I am taking arimidex and celexa.

Do you think there could be something else
causing this? I have gained a ton of weight
(I am hungry all the time) and am trying very
hard to get "moving".

I used to walk miles every day and now I am
lucky to make it once around the block. My
feet and legs feel like cement posts. AND YOU
ARE TRAINING FOR MARATHONS!!! Is there any
hope for me? I sure didn't think it would take
this long to get back some semblance of my
former self. I also don't eat chocolate every
day - I want to but I don't.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Gerri

Boy, Pink Girl, I am right with you on this one. You described how I feel to a tee! The only difference is that I was able to continue working full time during treatment, fortunately I tolerated everything very well. I had lost about 16 lbs (on purpose) prior to dx, but put back on 20lbs! I often wonder if the Tamoxifen is preventing me from losing weight. I really do eat pretty darn healthy and pass up the junk food most of the time. I would love to excercise but just don't have the energy. I still work full time but at the end of the day I am beat. I am slightly anemic and have just started taking iron supplements. I can't wait for the day my energy returns!

On the plus side - I sure have saved a ton of money because I just don't have the energy to shop like I used to!

All my best,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Kim in CA

Hi Pink,

Just thought I'd throw in my .02 cents worth on energy levels. I still struggle sometimes, but one thing I have found( and hope I don't offend the vegans among us) is that when I'm feeling really weak, I crave red meat. Hubby will take me out for a steak dinner and I do seem to feel more energetic the next day. Maybe it's just that I didn't have to cook!

Anyway I have also found that eating what I crave and eating small amounts throughout the day, seem to help. That includes chocolate, at least once a day and a little Brie and Shiraz in the evening!

Also the weather seems to have alot to do with my outlook on being active. When it's gloomy out, I know it affects me mentally which in turn makes me not want to do anything. When I wake up to a sunny day, it really does make me want to get out there and ride. I just start out slow, and little by little my energy seems to increase.

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think chemo really does change us, and we have to work harder to stay active later on. It really does payoff though, because the more you do the better you will feel.

Don't be too hard on yourself, just remember Baby Steps!

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Becky

Everyone is different in the amount of time it takes to recover from treatment. I was always a runner but not so much in the years prior to bc. During bc, it took everything I had to be able to work. I was the only breadwinner as my husband stayed home with the children for 10 years. I felt a responsibility to keep going and somehow I did but I could not do anything else. When it came time for rads, my rad onc told me to neither gain nor lose weight after the CT scan because women's breast size is the first thing to change shape when gaining or losing weight, therefore, I didn't start trying to walk or anything (which I really wanted to do since my legs were completely numb from the taxol and I figured walking would help bring them back to life). I took my first stroll the last rad boost day. I didn't feel like it but I did it. I wanted to run but it would have been dangerous when you can feel your legs. Plus, there were numerous articles on all the studies about walking and reduction of bc recurrence. I had to force myself to do it because Herceptin was not available to me. Two months later when it was and I started it, it was probably not so bad as I was done with chemo 4 months and rads 2 months. Maybe it was getting everything sequentially - I can't really say.

Also, Celexa does cause fatigue in many people. This may also be contributing - why not try taking that at night instead of the morning (if you take it in the morning?) Also, weight can be a culprit. I want to lose 15 lbs that I have always had on my body. Even with the training, I have not budged. Now I write down everything I eat - including the "butter" on the toast etc. It's amazing how many calories you really do eat and how many calories you really do need (and for most of us it is not the 2000 calories that is listed as the Daily Values on the back of a package. It is far less as estimates do not consider age, sex, height, activity level.

For example - if I run 20 miles per week easy pace, I only need 2055 calories per day and if I run with intensity or more miles, I need 2178. If I do nothing everyday, I need just shy of 1700. No wonder I ran and ran and didn't lose - i was eatting about 2300 calories a day (probably about an even steven as I haven't gained).

Also, I think that everyone needs a goal. It doesn't have to be a physical goal. Maybe saving for a Caribbean vacation in 2010 - where to go etc. It might also be to take a college course or a pottery course or make a garden (or being able to walk 30-60 minutes 5X per week).

I think exercise does help though. Energy creates energy (even though you feel dead at first - it gets addictive, even walking) and helps with your emotional health.

So, in 3 weeks I have lost 2 lbs and since I am postmenopausal, I think it might actually be real. But I'm not telling until I have lost 10!!

Keep the faith Pink. You are an extraordinary woman. Tip told me so.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
hutchibk

Hi Becks! Great to see ya!

As far as exercise and dropping weight (chemo weight or otherwise), I have been soooo irresponsible. But, now with osteoporosis in the Lumbar spine (and I can feel it now, dull ache), I decided it was time to get fit. I hate the gym, so I decided to seek out something that I can commit to at home. I came across a fitness guru named Miranda Esmonde-White who developed an exercise regimen called Classical Stretch. (you may have seen her on PBS). Apparently it is a combination of scientific stretching, PNF, tai-chi, yoga, ballet, physiotherapy and chiropractic movements, plus Esmonde-White's research and knowledge of specific exercises that will give you a longer and leaner body.

http://www.classicalstretch.com/aboutus.htm

I also learned that she is a B/C survivor... so I became very interested. I emailed and she responded to me personally with the recommendation for her best DVD given my particular needs.

For me she recommended Essentrics and offered that I should do it 30 min to an hour every day to get very noticible results in about 6 weeks. (I am modeling in our annual Art Bra Fundraiser).

http://www.classicalstretch.com/essentrics.html

So, I am starting today, and will let you know how it goes. I am excited!

(Pink, she's a Canadian homegirl!)

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Leslie's sister

Runner

Becky:

I see that you are a runner. You are training for a marathon? How exciting! Have you run one before? Where? I am a fifty stater (finished in Philly, Nov 07!) Anyhow, I would love to hear about your running.

Lisa
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
PinkGirl

Smile

Thanks all for the advice. I guess I'm just
going to keep dragging myself around the
block.

Becky, did Tippy really say that about
me? Nice little Hamster.

Thanks for the links Brenda. A Canadian
girl and I've never heard of her.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
StephN

Talking

Some great ideas posted here to Pink's question!

I will throw out a couple more.

Celexa. I have been taking this for about 3 months since after my Dad passed away, as I was so sad and exhausted from the long vigil. I find that if I take the whole 20mg tablet I AM really sleepy, even if I take it at night. I cut them in half and find that I am doing quite well on 10mg taken at night. Feel better spiritswise and have more energy. Also sleep better.
My doctor thinks I can wean off in 2 - 3 more months.
Have you tried cutting your dose?

Winter time makes us want to hibernate. It seems natural. There is not any gardeing to do after the leaves get raked up. Maybe it is too cold there for spring planting yet. (Hubby mowed our grass yesterday as it was already getting too long!) Our climate is not very conducive to me for walking. I also have allergy problems beginning now with the tree pollens.

I have a local fitness club that I go to once a week or so. That is really not enough, but I balance that out with housework, running around doing errands, yardwork and other activities. Even after being off chemo (second time) for over 5 years I STILL have to measure out my energy expenditure, as it only goes just so far.

The exercise that I found helped my legs the most after 27 rounds of Taxol for my liver mets was getting on a recumbant stair stepper. You sit, but it works your legs and arms. There are resistence adjustments and I started out with light resistance. Then when I am warmed up, I go over to one of the eliptical trainers and have worked my way up from only 3 minutes when I started to almost 10. That is not much, but at least I see improvement.

I also got a little heart rate monitor watch from MIO. This way, I can see how fast my rate gets up over 120 and how long it takes to come back down. (I used to get a little dizzy from just 10 minutes on the recumbant machine, but not now.)

Like my trainer said, "You have to start somewhere, and go from there a little at a time." I keep that in mind when I see others running for 40 min at a time on the treadmills right behind me in the gym! That is NOT me and WON't be me! But I am putting in whatever effort I have.

So, go for it, Pink!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
PinkGirl

Smile

Thanks StephN

I have been struggling with this for a long
time. I will admit that I haven't been
consistent. I stick to eating the right
kinds of food and going for short walks
but then something happens and I stop.
The weight that it took 2 weeks to lose
comes back in a weekend.

I live in a small, kind of isolated town. I
don't have access to those exercise
machines you described. But I am
going to definitely try to increase the
time and distance I am walking. And it
is definitely not Spring here - still in the
depths of winter.

Thanks very much for your help. I am
determined to get moving and shed some
pounds.

I take 40 mg. of Celexa. I don't take it
for depression, I take it for anxiety. I
started with panic feelings before the bc.
My doc said it was menopause related.
I could try cutting back to 30 mg and see
what happens.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Red face weight loss

If I could go back in time what I would do different is I would do what was suggested in another thread by someone -- I would either have the dose of steroids given with chemo reduced or eliminated. That is what puts on the pounds in the first place for a lot of us. Although some do lose weight on chemo, those who don't and who are middle-aged/menopausal will have a much harder time losing it than they had prior to doing treatment.

But that is hindsight. I just mention it because there are others here in chemo who might still benefit from that suggestion.

I was in shape prior to treatment. For at least 2 years after treatment I too felt like lead and carried too much weight around. When I exercised I was constantly stumbling due to the excess weight. I have much more sympathy for overweight people now than I had before.

One thing that helped me (but also was very depressing) was I took a photo of myself in my swimsuit. The sad thing about that was that I really and truly didn't think I looked so awful until I actually saw the picture. Talk about kidding myself!!!! I too do not like putting the time and money in to head out in the rain or snow to a gym, so I just made sure I stumbled around more times a day either jumping rope or doing dancercise, and worked more often with small barbells. Because I work at home I limited the time on the clock to when I ate and when I didn't, so that I wasn't putting food in that "didn't count".

I'd say it took about 4 years to get 20 pounds off and I still have another 5 or 10 to go. What also kept me exercising was the belief that exercise helps to keep toxins flushed out of the body, and it improves mood.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Jeanette

I too have a weight problem.The only thing living down here in Florida , is it's so damn hot in the summer to walk very far. I try, but with the humidity it kills you. I also went for my 6 month mammo and ultrasound today. Turns out i have to have a biopsy done as there was a little suspicious thing about the size of a pea, that they want to look at. So waiting to get my appt. and see what happens. Hugs and Blessings to you all, Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
hutchibk

I am putting the first DVD in right now - if I can bring myself to turn off the "just breaking" news of Elliott Spitzer (Lawyer/prosecutor, heal thyself)-

I will let you know how I live through 30 minutes with Miranda!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 03-10-2008 at 12:57 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Patb

I'm right there with you Brenda, was going to put in my walking tape but
am now watching the news, I also understand Jeanette, I am in Florida and it is humid, therefore the walking tape on DVD. We need exercise, I get it, but I can come up with excuses even though I do feel better when I exercise. So here we go, here's to exercise. Fatigue is a major problem with me now. I sleep ten hours a night. Its gotten to be a joke with everyone. Take care
Patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Bill

Wink

Hello Lady Pink, I wish I could help more, but I do recommend a book called The Cancer Survival Cookbook, by Donna Weihofen,RD,MS and Christina Marino,MD, MPH. It's not the greatest book in the world, but there are many good tips and recipes for fatigue, nausea, etc. If you want me to, I can send it to you. Just let me know. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
PinkGirl

Smile

Bill,
Thanks, I will look for that book in our library or
perhaps get it the next time I'm in the big city.
Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Gerri

Yo, Brenda...

...still waiting to hear about your exercise experience. The DVDs look very interesting. I'm looking to try something new that won't discourage me by completely wearing me out.

BTW, love the new avatar - that is amazing! Did you take the picture?
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
AlaskaAngel

Angry Why don't they TELL us these things!

I thought I'd bring this thread back to the top to share some information I found.

In the 1999 Supplement to the Mayo Clinic Health Letter article Menopause and Beyond I found an interesting tidbit, or target:

"You will probably need to eat less -- perhaps as much as 200 to 400 calories a day -- just to maintain your current weight." That isn't a "temporary" change. You will need to make that a permanent change for life.

This new sacrifice isn't to help any of us lose weight. It only is intended to help prevent weight gain. So if you have already gained weight from treatment and are trying to lose it, you will have to cut out more than that 200 to 400 calories from what you normally were able to eat without gaining weight prior to treatment and you will have to continue that bigger number (day after day, week after week, month after month) until you have actually lost the excess weight.

In other words, becoming menopausal means you will need to permanently make this change in your diet (or else you will need to permanently exercise more than you used to have to exercise prior to menopause just to be able to maintain and not gain weight).

This is hardly happy news. But it does help me to understand WHY I've been doing 30 minutes of aerobic exercise a day plus not eating breakfast, and not eating lunch, and eating half as much as I used to for dinner, and STILL not losing weight. It means that for me to lose weight I have to cut out.... more.... or... exercise more... or both....

*sigh*

This is the first article that I've seen that actually gave some target number. I would guess that number applies to normal menopause, and may be even higher for those whose hormonal level is even more drastically changed by chemopause. I wonder why no one tells us that we will have to make those kinds of permanent changes in our lifestyle as part of treatment?

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
Brenda_D

Shock and Awe chemo...Pink Girl, you couldn't have described it better. That's how I felt and still do feel.
The chemo knocked me flat for months and I still have fatigue. I lost weight during Herceptin, but as soon as I finished it, the weight is coming back.
I just don't seem to have the energy to much, and I get fatigued quickly when I do try.
I'm not taking any AI's or other BC meds.
I do have some other things going on, back problems, but I wouldn't think that would sap my energy and strength.
Brenda_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
harrie

PinkGirl, did your energy level eventually get back to "normal"? What is your exercise activity now like?
HarrieCanarie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 AM   #20
PinkGirl

Unhappy

Oh HarrieCanarie, I was hoping no one would think to ask me
how I'm doing now. I laughed when I read the date on my
original post. Nothing has changed, except for my frustration
level.

I am still very tired. I continue to gain weight. I do not
recognize myself in the mirror. It is now definitely some kind of
vicious cycle. I need to exercise and the extra weight makes it
harder to do so. Two weeks ago I sprained my ankle (new bi-focals)
and then sprained it again yesterday.

I've been able to lose some weight if I am extremely careful about
what I eat. But I gain it back quickly in one weekend with what I
call "normal" eating. I have become a Monday morning dieter.
Yesterday (another Monday) I started a new plan ... back to living
on salads, veggies and protein along with short walks around the
block (wearing my elastic thingie on my ankle and my old glasses.)
I hope I can stick with it. Thanks for asking

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years