HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Paris

Upon finishing herceptin, how long did it take you to recover?

Sorry if this has been posted before. I have completed 12 rounds of herceptin. I saw my surgeon yesterday and mentioned to her that I still have bouts of fatigue and still don't have the energy or endurance that I had pre-cancer. She said that it would take about six months from the time I finished herceptin til I felt totally better since in her words "I am still in treatment". I am familiar with the philosophy of one month of recovery for every month from diagnosis to end of treatment but I thought that treatment meant chemo not herceptin.

I know there are many of you who have dealt with fatigue as a side effect. I'm wondering how long it was til you weren't fatigued?

Jamie
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Mary Jo

You're right.........Life is good.

Hi Jamie,

Ya know, when my herceptin was finished I thought I felt fine. However, I was more tired than before cancer but just figured I was different now (not that I wasn't different before cancer ) but I remember hitting my year anniversary and saying to my husband that they always say it takes a year to recover, but I didn't believe that. I thought I was just fine after everything....but you know? It really did take about 1 year until I really felt back to "normal" (whatever the heck that is)

So, hang in their................it does improve with time.

Continue with your wonderful attitude ..... you are definitley right.....life is good and is ours for the taking. Make each day count.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
tousled1

Jamie,

Everyone is different and it takes some of us longer to recover from the side effects. I was off Herceptin for 3 months before I developed mets and at that point I was still fatigued -- not as bad as while on Herceptin. So it was getting better. Now I'm back on Herceptin and dealing with the fatigue. Also, remember what was your "normal" before breast cancer probably will not be your normal after treatment. We just adapt to a different "normal."
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Cannon

Ditto.

I just finished Herceptin end of Nov 07, and I am so much better now, and find I have more energy, not day by day, but week by week. One day recently, I said to myself, "Wow, I didn't have to take any naps this week." I pretty much always COULD take a nap, but I didn't need to.

Herceptin is definitely still "in treatment" it's not killing cells but it's in there doing its monoclonal antibody thing (ok, that's just me throwing around words I don't understand). And that's why there are side effects, swelling, etc. Also I think Herceptin has a half life of three weeks, so it's still in your system for a while. Even if it were just saline, you have the doctor's appt, the infusion, the general wear and tear.

I expect to continue to feel better as time goes on. I did have scans last week and get the good news - still NED.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Catherine

Fatigued at the end of the day

I am glad you posted this question, because it has been lurking in my mind. I finshed Herceptin Dec 19, 2007. I find I can go full speed a head for about 6 days and then I hit "a wall." Just reminds me that I can not over book myself, with work or with social. I would prefer to slow down and not hit the wall. I was so excited to be off of chemo and only on Herceptin, that it took me awhile to figure out that I was still "fatigued." Now that I have accepted the fatigue part, I am working to be smarter at my schedule.

I am so thankful to be well. My thoughts are with everyone on the site even though I have not been here much lately. I luckily just returned from a 2 plus week stay in Arizona with my husband. I feel rested and happy.
Now to the challenge of not going full speed ahead tomorrow.

Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
MJo

It took me one year.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
CPA

About 1 month after finishing chemo, Jill was winded to walk 2 laps of a 1/3 mile track at a slow pace. A year later - and 5 months after finishing Herceptin - she was briskly walking the track 3-4 laps. A few nights ago, she went 10 minutes on the treadmill at a quick pace and max incline. She was winded but recovered quickly.

You seem to have a good attitude... we all slow down a little as we get older, but that does not mean we can't keep trying!

Jill was still easily fatigued during Herceptin tx but we were never sure if it was the Herceptin or a hold-over from chemo. It does get better over time.
Stage II N0
Her2+ er/pr+
Revision Mast due to positive margins 12/05
TCH Chemo started 1/06
Finished TC 4/06
Tamoxifen
Finished H 12/29/06
Currently NED
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Christine MH-UK

Different things went away at different times

The mental fogginess really started lifting about six weeks after I finished herceptin.

The tiredness took about nine months.

I went back in to herceptin after having been out of treatment for a while and I was really surprised at how tired it made me.

One year out of herceptin I could walk about twice as fast as I could while I was on herceptin.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Paris

Thank you for your kind advice ladies. It's good to know that what I am experiencing is "normal" for this stage of the game. I agree with you Rebecca, that the doctor appointments wear you down. It seems like this month I've had a doctor appointment of some kind every day and I am worn out! It's 10 AM, I've had my two cups of coffee and I'm ready for a nap.

Jamie
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote