HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
scalp driving me nuts

hi everyone...happy new yr. tried to take a cancer break while trying to enjoy the xmas holidays which we did. Just a weird question. Have any of you had a lot of scalp irritation. My scalp is very tender, and itchy!! It feels like i have about 10-15 little under the skin pimples. Or is it the hair follicles dying. I will be having my third chemo this week so am expecting more scalp irritation. In the big picture this is very minor but wondered if others could relate. Its hard to even wear my wig. Never really gave my scalp a second thought but for me this seems to be my problem area.
It seems to settle then flares up in the evening..any how thats my concern other wise chemo is going...i now have an app for my mugga Feb 11. thanks to all of ya
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Brenda_D

My scalp hurt quite a bit when my hair started falling out, about 15 days after starting chemo (AC).
I think it's pretty common. It's one of those things we endure.
Brenda_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
KellyA

Hi there,
I had a very sore (itchy to start) scalp when I started chemo. It began to bother me when my hair was getting ready to fall out and then stayed that way for a few weeks. After that it was fine. It was so uncomfortable, I couldn't brush or even wash my hair and it bothered me to have anything touch it at all. I think your discomfort will ease up soon.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
thanks..i was thinking that this was very common but you never know!
Kelly your photo is so beautiful you look great and happy. I really wish this was something none of us would have to endure...
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
KellyA

Suzanne,
Thank you very much for your sweet pic comment. Oh, how I wish this was something that no one had to endure. It is such a huge mountain to climb, and seems so overwhelming at times, especially in the beginning. But over time, the most beautiful thing happens, and life takes a very unexpected turn... in reflection, what a gift this experience has been, and the joy in life that may have not always been there, or at least was taken for granted before bc, has given me an outlook on life that I never would have had.

Hang in there- time will pass, things will get better, and you will find out so many wonderful things about yourself that you didn't know before. This time next year you will have a head of new hair, and a whole new outlook.

P.S.- Cold compresses worked wonders for my scalp. My hubby would wet and freeze a washcloth for me (so there was no hard ice against my head). I had so many washclothes and popsicles (helped with my nausea) in the freezer, there was no room for any food!!!!!

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Mary Jo

Hi Suzanne,

You are right......it would be nice if this was something none of us had to endure BUT listen to Kelly. She is a wise woman. This "journey" you are embarking on is tough. Way beyond words. But, that being said, I repeat what Kelly said and know that you will get through this like we did. And, also I agree with what she said in that what you will learn and gain from your experience will go beyond anything you could imagine. Yes, again, Kelly is right in her saying "what a gift this experience has been." (man that Kelly is a smart cookie) Of course this all takes time. Afterall, it's a journey - a long, hard one. Things will be learned each step of the way and you will be amazed at how differently you will look at life and all it's blessings. Sending hugs and love to you "sister."

Also hoping the "prickly" head leaves you soon. It didn't last just too long for me. Just a few days before the hair came out and maybe a week or two past that.

Peace to you friend,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
sassy

Suzanne,

I have to agree with Kelly and Mary Jo, this is a tough journey and one I would not have willingly started nor wished on anyone. However, as with anything in life, one must look at the positive of any situation and this one has definitely had a positive side for me.

I discovered how many caring friends and family members that I truly have. So many prayers, so much help, so many kind gestures: I might not have had the opportunity to experience all this otherwise. As Kelly said, life takes on a whole new meaning and your appreciation of it grows tremendously.

I found that rubbing coco butter on my head helped the itching prickly feeling. As a matter of fact, I eventually rubbed it on my whole body--it just seemed to make me feel more comfortable. I also found that wearing scarves and hats was more comfortable than wearing my wig. I only wore my wig for other people--when I thought that others would be more comfortable with my wig than with a hat or scarf. I was perfectly comfortable anywhere in just a hat or scarf, and went bald at home. My sons' friends quickly became comfortable with my baldness!

Although it may seem endless now, this will pass and you will grow back beautiful hair.

My best wishes to you,
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!

Last edited by sassy; 01-06-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Jackie07

I called a dermatologist in the hospital when I got scheduled for my chemo. He told me to quit using the prescription shampoo (I've been using Ketoconizole alternates with DHS Zinc shampoo for almost 17 years) and just use the Zinc shampoo.
Any scalp problems you have, I would think it's best to talk to a dermatologist.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Bev

Scalp Therapy by Nioxin helped. Sort of Eucalyptus, menthol. Good luck, Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
suzan w

Wink

After my second chemo treatment (A/C) my scalp became very sore and itchy...then the hair started to fall out. My scalp was very sensitive throughout treatment...could not stand anything touching it...no hats, scarves...sometimes even the wind hurt!!! I used an organic body lotion made by Nature's Gate . When my hair started to grow in it was also very itchy and I used the Nioxin products and found that they really helped. A funny chemo story: I was at the movies in the restroom and there were 3 teenaged girls there too. They were washing up when I was in the "stall". They were very loud and talking about how awful they looked. Just as I came out of the stall one of them announced that her hair looked so bad people probably thought she was on chemo. Well...she just about choked when she saw bald me. I just smiled. I heard her say to her friends as they walked out, "Oh I can't believe I just said that...that poor lady..." So, maybe a teenager learned something that day, eh???
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Susan M(PA)

I have the dry itchy scalp with little bumps, too. I'm on Tykerb and Xeloda. I had hives on my arms, legs and torso on the first round. Doc lowered the Xeloda to 1500, down from 3000 mg. The body itch and hives stopped, but I still feel the itch scalp may be allergy related. I suppose it could be the toxicity.

I find taking my dose of daily flax seed oil helps (Barleans brand), fatty acids are great for the skin, anti-allergy, better yet has anti-cancer benefit in breast cancer studies. I also like Aveeno eczema care body wash for my hair and scalp.

Good luck!

Susan M(PA)
Susan M(PA) is offline   Reply With Quote