HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Sherryg683

Hot flashes back...again

After chemo, I went for about a year with those nasty chemopause hotflashes. For the past 8 months they have been gone and I thought I was done with the hot flashes. But for the last 2 weeks they have been coming back strong, waking me up at night. I thought once you went through them, they would go away..is it normal for them to come and go..dang I thought I was done with it...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Yes Sherry, it is very normal. I've been told they can come and go like that for years and years. OHHHHHHHHH, lucky us.

I, too, went through them BAD while going through chemo. After chemo ended the hot flashes improved and eventually went away. Lately, they are back again also. Not so bad as of late but for a while there they were quite frequent again (but not nearly as intense as during chemo).

So, grab a fan and enjoy the ride. Hahahahahahahahaha!

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Yorkiegirl

I still have Hot Flashes. Ever since Chemo put me into Chemo Pause two years ago , and they have never went away.

I HATE them so much. I wish there was something I could do, nothing I have tried has helped at all.

Night time is REALLY, REALLY bad. I wish it would just all go away.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
StillHere

Sherry, I never stopped having hot flashes since chemo started 2 years ago. I do take the antidepresant Effexor. It is suppose to help w/ hot flashes. I don't know how well it really works because I started it while on chemo. The hot flashes during chemo were severe and about 4 times per hour. Now they are once every couple of hours and don't usually wake me up at night. I hate to advise you to take more meds, but it may be worth a try. Good Luck. Karen
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Hot Hot Hot

HELP. I THINK I'M ON FIRE. My hot flashes began at age 40 when I was perimenopausal and 10 yrs before bc. They have continued past menopause (age 47) to now (almost 63!). I drip from the nape of my neck, down my back, covering my entire scalp (and hair) as if I just got out of the shower. I feel like I am on fire. With a fever of 105. Trapped in the Guatemalean jungles. Stifling hot. I live in sleeveless everything w/as much a/c as I can muster. I have a Brookstone fan I tote everywhere!

Nighttime -- I am fine. I think that is from Ativan, or generic Ambien. Which obviously I don't ant to take during the day.

With approval from my oncological nutritional expert I do take Black Cohash Extract, Evening Primrose Oil, Isoflavones from red clover. My doc says plant estrogen is like a millionth of the strength of regular estrogen and is safe. I've been taking these since '98, and as you can see from my signature (ER/PR-) and NED since '99 -- this definitely is helpful and works for me. Most *regular* oncs fear all this and do not recommend it. I am that desperate, and have absolute approval from my NY onc/nutrition man who I trust and respect. I also take Effexor to help w/the hot flashes. All combined gives me a degree of relief. Truly the only thing that worked totally was estrogen, which I was on for 6 mnths prior to bc -- so obviously that is not a viable option. I'm just doing the best I can. I have decided it all comes down to QOL. I was using ice cubes on my wrists in in my palms for a while there, clammy and miserable at all times. Now, I am better. No great, but better.

I also tried using self-hypnosis to rid myself of the cycle of getting the hot flash, FEARING an all out break out of perspiration and thus actually bringing it on. This worked w/my 2 yrs of horrible back pain AND CURED ME, but I have failed w/regulating my body temp.

Any secrets any one has out there would be greatly appreciated to relieve my 22 yrs of suffering, along w/many others apparently. I FEEL LIKE I'M MELTING... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote