HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
michka

Question Arimidex and depression

Hi everybody,
I have had been lucky to find this terrific site that already helped me several time understand a lot about my cancer and treatment.
I have started Arimidex 1,5 months ago and I have minor pains I can handle for the moment but I a completely depressed and just feel like giving us after 9 moths of suffering.,And I must admit I had much worst periods of suffering than now.
Has anyone experienced that with Arimidex? Or it is just a coincindence?
MICHKA

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Depression

This can strike any one going through what a cancer patient must endure. The pains and side effects deplete our energy, as we fight to rally. Dx in '95 w/4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma + 2 nodes (a 9cm tumor), mastec, tram flap reconstr, I did okay. I figured, just get through these 8 mnths and then go on w/life. I had a great attitude and was certain of my survival. In '98 I had multiple tumors into my liver. I was stunned. I told my doc right off, I need something to help me get through this. He prescribed Ativan, which is a mood elevator, and that worked for around 3 mnths. I was HER2+ with a highly aggressive cancer and a really poor prognosis. I had pain everywhere, was shaky, wobbly, lightheaded, weak and weary. Taxotere was killing the cancer cells, but my body was very much in the way. The doc then added daily anti-depressant. I swear it just lifted me up. I sing as go about my day. I didn't dance while on the Taxotere, but now that I'm on Herceptin every 3 wks (triple dosage), I swing and sway. Some of us need help. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I read plenty of spiritual self help books which did a lot with my mental perspective. These bks were life-altering and enriched my life immeasurably. Iyanla Vanzant, Wayne Dyer... I feel connected to my Spirit and empowered. I journal daily. Writing your thoughts and feelings down is cathartic. Do everything you can to get back not only to the old you, but the new and improved you. I'll be praying for you... Sending loving, healing energy your way... ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Caroline UK

Hi Michka
Sorry to hear that you're feeling so down at the moment. In answer to your question, I've been on Arimidex for about 2 and a half months, only a little longer than you, but I have to say I'm feeling better now than I did at the start. I think it must have an effect on our moods, altering our hormone levels as it does. I feel that as time has gone on, I've become more settled on it. I do get very down times and moments, and sometimes they feel so extreme I wonder if it is hormonal, as to me it feels a lot like pre-menstrual syndrome. My oncologist told me that it can take around 2 - 6 months before the side effects of Arimidex (hopefully) begin to settle down. I also have stiff and painful joints with it, especially in the mornings.
And of course, when you add in all the other factors like the normal depression anyone would feel in our position, coming to terms with the diagnosis itself, treatments, side effects etc....
I'd imagine that it's worth trying an anti-depressant, even if only for a short while, to help you out of this pit. Also counselling, if you haven't had any so far?
Hang in there. This is a bad time but it'll pass, and we all certainly have them.
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Becky

These drugs can cause the side effect of depression and it is listed on the drug pamphelet that is distributed by the manufacturer. I have a girlfriend who became super depressed on both Arimidex and then Femara. She was switched again to Aromosin and is doing well. If this drug also caused depression, her onc (and coincidentially mine too) was going to switch her back to Tamoxifen.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Patricia

I have tried Arimidex, Femara and Aromasin because of side effects. I am now on Aromasin and am doing ok. I originally had debilitating pain in my hands and legs while on both Aromasin and Arimidex, so I tried the Femara, but with the Femara I had noticable depression. I wasnt sure I could live with the pain, but I was positive I could not live with the depression. I switched back to the Aromasin and eventually after months the pain has lessened. It is not gone, but is much more tolerable. I would try to switch to one of the other options and see if it works better with you body.

Hugs,
Patricia
9/15/05: Total Thyroidectomy
A/C X 4 DD, 11 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, + 9 mos Herceptin Alone, 36x Rads, Lupron, Aromasin
7/29/07: 2 years NED :)
8/6/07 Oopherectomy (Lupron no more! :-)
Aromasin & Estring plus Synthroid and supplements
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
R.B.

Please do try the search button above and look up depression.

I have posted several posts on the importance of omega three (and the impact of excess six) to brain function.

Omega six and three particularly DHA and EPA also interlink with the hormone pathways, and it is conceivable that an eostrogen blocker could intervene in the long chain fat creation control pathways.

The only way round this would be to ensure you have adequate quantities in your diet.

Please do discuss any dietary changes with your doctor. Omega threes can lead to blood thinning.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Joy

hi michka

I'm glad you shared your struggles with us. I think you will find a lot of comfort here. I sure do. I'm curious as to whether you were naturally post-menopausal, chemopausal or doing zolodex or lupron to become menopausal. Menopause itself can create depression for some anyway. And just like PMS the degree varies. By taking an aromatase inhibitor we are basically wiping out all traces of estrogen. Estrogen levels affect so much in our bodies. So the depression could be a very real physiological effect from playing with hormones. It is always compounded by a stupid cancer diagnosis, treatment and all the nonsense that goes along with it.

An anti-depressant as well as diet (see R.B.'s posts)/guided imagery/hypnotherapy could really brighten things up for you. I feel that if there is something(s) that exist to help our outlook we should take action. Why waste time feeling so blue so consistently when there is so much about life to enjoy?

I know depression intimately as I have had it so much of my life. Since childhood even. Curiously the only times Idid not have it and felt so great was when pregnant both times and while I was nursing (which I did for quite awhile). So I know there is a hormonal component to it. Once my cycles started back up, the depresseion came back and not for just a couple days around my periods, but pretty much all the time. I call it the blackness.

Before cancer I lived a very holistic life. I did not want to take drugs for anything. I didn't even own asprin, etc. I had my babies at home and felt very strongly about nutrition and its effects on everything (I still do). But prior to my first dignosis the depression was really bad and then I got THE NEWS and I said, "screw it-I need something to help get me through this because this is hard enough." I went on a very low dose of effexor and have been on it for 7 years. We had to raise the dose when chemopause/ovarian suppression practices really made me menopausal because the blackness was so bad. It has made a big difference and remember this is counter to how I lived my life for so long.

So, I would never tell anyone that I know what is right for them because everyone's ideals and beliefs are important and to be respected by all. I just wanted you to know that there is someone out there who really understands depression who is rooting for you.

Nurture yourself and let us know how you are doing.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote