HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Hopeful

Tatoo Removal

I would very much like to have one of my radiation tatoo's removed, the one that shows when I wear anything except a completely buttoned up blouse or sweater. I can't stand looking at this big blue "freckle," for want of a better description. Has anyone else had their tatoo(s) removed? Is it a difficult process? Do you see a dermatologist for it?

Thanks for any info!

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
juanita

One of mine shows as well, but if someone says anything when they see it I proudly tell them what it is.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Margerie

Hopeful,

I hated my radiation tatts also. I could see a couple of them everytime I looked down. I went to a dermatologist and got them removed with a laser. It was one zap to each freckle. I had 5 spots removed for $85. He said it may take more than one treatment (at $85@), but they disappeared after the first treatment. Around here, the dermatologists have the tattoo removal laser in their office only once a month- so it took awhile to get the appointment.

I have heard some don't want their tatts removed, in case they need radiation again- they mark your previous field. I have DIEP recon after rads, so that didn't apply- as everything was rearranged.

For me, it was a relief. I hated radiation!

I have 2 new little tatts from my vaccine trial- but I think I will keep them because it has been a positive experience.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
Karen Weixel

Mine are so small you can hardly see them.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Hopeful

Thanks, Margerie. I will call my dermatologist for an appointment. My surgeon told me she reccomends all of her patients see a dermatologist once a year to look for moles and other skin abnormalities, so I can take care of both with one visit. I really only care about having the tatoo that messes up my neckline taken care of. I feel like everytime I try to wear a pretty necklace, it calls attention to it. The rest I never notice.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Carol H.

Tatoos

Mine are so small, I can barely find them. Not sure but I don't think you can have radiation in the same area again? The skin can't take it. Carol H. ,Fl.
Infiltrating Carcinoma
Stage 1
Grade 11
1.5 cm
Sentinel Lymph Node Neg.
ER-
PR-
Her2+
Fish 2.5 Amplied
KI-67 20%
Radiation= 6 weeks
Refused Chemo & Herceptin
Carol H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
bonnie

Laser didn't work

I was told my tattoos would be very small, like freckles. They weren't real small. The one at the top was especially large and black and it really bothered me. So I went to a dermatologist and had 13 laser treatments and it still didn't remove it. So he actually cut it out. It was very deep. I left all the tatts except the top one and if it had been as small as they said it would be, I most likely wouldn't have had a problem with it. However, that was not the case with me and I didn't want that left-over damage. We have to live with enough "damage" without adding this daily reminder.

Bonnie
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote