HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
lindyjo

joint pain

Hello friends,
I have been done with chemo since Sept. 13th. I'm a little more than halfway done with my 33 rads and am having Herceptin every 3 weeks. I've had some stiffness in my hips since ending the Taxol, especially after sitting for a while.
But now this past week, I'v started to hurt all over! My wrists, shoulders, elbows, fingers, ankles and now my back!! The rad. onc. said he doesn't believe it has anything to do with cancer but he said that when cancer goes to the bone, it will usually go to the spine and now I'm paranoid because my lower back hurts. I have an exam today and plan to ask questions, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of stiffness and achiness. I'm not on Tamoxifen yet but am worried that that will make this even worse. Someone on this site mentioned that when the chemo pushes you into early menopause it can cause a form of arthritis. Does anyone know any more about that?? I'm trying not to over react, but with all we go through with this disease, it's hard not to. Hoping for input from you. Thanks, Lindyjo
lindyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
panicked911

yes you heard right - meanpaus can equal muscle, joint and bone aches. herceptain is also a culprit as well. Tamoxifen usually is ot a cause of bone and muscle aches but the aromatese inhibitors which are used when you are menapausal ( arimidex, femera) are also to blame.

I am 45 and feel like 70 - however- I have started physical threrapy and exercise regularly and it is improving. hang in there - your body has gone thru all kinds of shocks and remioving estrogen is a biggie - Your body needs time to adjust and you will see the symptoms will calm down .

Susanne
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Me2

I can really relate. I have just finished Herceptin 3 weeks ago and have had pain since last December. I have had 2 MRI's, a CT scan, Bone Scan, and Pet scan. All have come up negative. I have tail bone and my lower back really hurts. My hips, shoulder and ankle joints are incredibly stiff even after sitting for a short time,
I am hoping this is due to the herceptin but still am worried it is something else most of the time. Don't panic
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
karenann

I have the same problems with my, wrists, fingers, elbow, etc. You name it, it hurts. I don't know if it is from the Aromasin, Taxol, Herceptin, menopause???

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
sally

joint pain

I also have joint, muscle and bone pain. I'm 38 yrs old and feel like I'm 90. I am on Herceptin and Femara and had ovaries removed wich put me into menopause. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
bobbiw

I too was a bit worried about my hip pain (am on Herceptin) but then the pain began to travel to other areas like the lower back, fingers, knee......so I am betting it is the Herceptin for me and probably menopause as well.

Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
tousled1

After about my second Herceptin infusion I started to experience severe joint pain -- all over. Since all my scans in October were clear I can only attribute the joint pain to Herceptin. I told my oncologist about it and also my pain management doctor. Pain management doctor said that one of the major side effects of Herceptin is joint pain. Hang in there!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
MCS

OH yeah. Tail bone ache and lower back ache, the pet was clear. it hurts to sit and I'm very stiff, as if with arthritis. before herceptin, I never had joint aches. I take l glucosamine, and it helps a tiny bit.

Thank you for sharing info, it gives me comfort to know there's another stiffy out ther with me

MCS (maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
lindyjo

Thanks for the replys. It just helps so much to know you aren't being a hypochondriac. And to know what you are going through isn't totally abnormal. Not that I want other people to be sore & achy, but just to know it doesn't mean something is terribly wrong. Also another FYI. I have read where alot of people are eating flax seed muffins and there is alot of articles stating that flax can reduce Her-2 overexpression by 71%. Well, I was very confused because the summer issue of Women & Cancer says flax & Omega 3's are NOT good for breast cancer. I took both articles with me to my appt. today and my onc. said that flax contains a plant form of estrogen which is not recommended for breast cancer and he said a little flax and/or Omega 3 sources such as fish is okay but alot is not and would not recommend eating the muffins every day or drinking the oil. So take it for what it's worth!! It's hard when there is so much conflicting info out there.
lindyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Sandy H

This is a tough one. I am ER/PR neg. have had bil mastectomies and a hysterectomy. I do use flaxseed oil, make flaxseed muffin, bread and use the meal on cereal. I also use an all natural balancing cream. I have fibromyalgia so have muscles and joint pain. This is what I do for mine. If I was ER pos. I don't know what I would do. One should be careful of mushrooms and soy. I don't like either one so that is not a problem. I would keep trying things such as the goucosamine ?sp but it was mentioned in a previous post. It does take 2 or 3 months for it to work so hang in there if you try it. I took it before the flaxseed. Its not a quick fix! Wishing you well. I am not able to eat tomatoes really gives me joint pain. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote