HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Jannie

Questions

I am now 3 years out from diagnosis - stage 111, her+++, er-, lymph node involvment. My chemo was FEC and had serious rads. I have never had Herceptin because I didn't make it into any of the trials. Just over a year out of treatment, I had a heart attack and am currently about to have surgery because the rads destroyed the main artery to my arm.
My question is: on my spring visit to the onc I asked him about any testing or scans or anything and his reply was that I didn't need any and he couldn't cure me from this point. I suggested that with my history I would prefer knowing and if there is anything there finding it earlier rather than later would be helpful. Is this normal?

My other question is - does chemo brain go away?

Thank you for any input.

Jannie
Jannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Bev

Jannie, Please reach and get another opinion. I am assuming 111 means stage 3 as you had node involvement. You look like a candidate for herceptin to me. Call Monday for that 2nd opinion,

There was some sort of study out in the last few weeks that chemo brain is real. I think the subjects were 10 years post treatment. Fortunately us Her+ were smarter to start with so we should be able to cope. I made that last one up. Take care, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
mkrny

don't accept this oncs response!

Jannie, Sounds like it is time for a new onc. Definitely get scans periodically, typical is 6 month intervals at first then stretch it out if things look good. Include head especially since it was in nodes (see some of my other posts from spring '06 for burbs on that).
Regarding trials, not sure what you meant there, herceptin is beyond trials. My wife has been taking it since 2001. Weekly doses is most typical. See "Heceptin interval 1 wk vs 3 wk " thread I started for that discussion.

Note: Your heart condtion may be an issue though. Herceptin can cause cardotoxicity but it should reverse when you stop taking herceptin (as opposed to adriamiacin which will cause permanent cardo issues). Since you had a heart attack I would imagine you had tests that could be used to determine your heart's condition. Have you had a MUGA scan which measures various things about how well heart pumps? An ejection fraction >50% is normal. That's the number they focus on.
Site explaining MUGA:
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/car...sts/a/muga.htm

Hope this helps,
Primary mets to brain/CSF, bones & lymphs
DX: 2/01, DCIS Rt one, Neoadjuvant chemo, MRM 7/01
Rads to chest, neck, lower spine, pelvis
WBR & cyberknife
Numerous chemo/hormonal cocktails along the way
10/11/06: Started Trial of Lapatinib/Xeloda, after 2 cycles it is declared a failure for us.
11/24/06: Now starting rads to upper spine then IT herceptin
12/07: Took a turn for the worse and entered hospice. Enjoyed remaining time with family and friends feasting on cookies and sushi.
4/11/07: Peacefully passed on. Maryann will be missed by all.
mkrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
Jannie

Thanks

Bev & Ken:

Thank you for the replies.
I am in Canada, so herceptin wasn't available as quickly here. My onc said with monitering I can still get herceptin. Since I am still dealing with side effects from chemo and rads I feel I need to know more from testing before I push for herceptin.
Bev - even though I know we are smarter - I had my hair dyed blonde so people don't expect as much - sad but true it worked!
My gut feeling was to get a more aggressive onc, but needed some advice from people who have been there.
Jannie
Jannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
juanita

I'm hoping chemo brain goes away. There was a thread about it I think by Lani last week maybe with an article in it.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
lisahammo

Jannie

I agree with the others, you definitely need another opinion. Don't give up. What a horrible thing to say to you. There are so many other options for you. You just need a decent onc.

Good luck.

Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Bev

My onc doesn't do more than blood tests if one is asymptomatic. Don't agree with this. Independently, doing Herceptin is another issue if your heart can take it. Had blonde streaks put in, something different. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote