HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Rupali

Heart Palpitations and Muga Vs Echo

Hi all,
I have been on Herceptin every 3 weeks for more than a year now. Exactly for 14 months.
I was diagnosed with Stage 3A, 9cm tumor, right breast matectomy, dose dense 4AC+ 4 Taxol and 33 rads. COmpleted chemo in May 2005 and have been on Herceptin since.
I also take 400mg COQ10 and a list of other supplements.
I have been relatively ok and have been doing my daily work and also have been actively swimming etc.
Recently in last 2 days I feel some palpitation and feel out of breath.
I called my cardiologist and he said my recent ECHO was good and also my stress echo was fine. He disontinue MUGA 6 months back and said that he will folow me up with Echos every 3 months.
I called him up again to let him know whats going on and he said he would not worry a lot as the ECHO was done a few days back and everything was fine.
I am getting concerned and would like to know what you would have done in this situation.
The other worrysome question is should I go for 2 years of Herceptin or just stop it now and let my heart recover and perhaps start Herceptin again after 2 months or so.

Please advice and comment.
Regards,
Rupali
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
karenann

I just completed my year of Herceptin on July 28th and about 2 weeks before that, I started feeling the same as you have described in your post. I saw my onc and he feels that I am ok. It's a strange feeling though and like you, I do worry.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Julie2

Rupali,

I also felt out of breath for around 2 weeks. It happened only if I bend and get up. It slowly resolved by itself. My onc feels it might happen if there is distortin of lungs due to radiation. I had my radiation one and half year ago. Hope this helps. I am still on Herceptin.

Julie
Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #4
Jade

Hi Rupali

I'm having my last Herceptin today (after one year) and for the last couple of months have been experiencing strange things going on with my heart. I sneaked a look at my Echo results (done one month ago) while at the oncs yesterday, and while my left ventricle ejection factor (LVEF) was fine, the report noted "mitral, tricuspid and aortic insufficiencies as previously noted". I brought this to my oncs attention as I hadn't been informed of this; he said it's "leakage" and probably wouldn't be a problem until I was 70 (I should be so lucky to be 70!) - I'm 50 now. He is arranging an appointment at the cardiologist to further check it out and provide a baseline for the future. My point being, if I didn't sneak a look at my report and specifically ask the question, this information would no doubt have stayed in the files without my knowledge. I have absolute trust and faith in my onc, however, their focus is on the cancer and treatment related problems, so to him this is minor, and probably why he didn't mention it.

We know when something is not right with our bodies/heart. Perhaps it would be worth asking exactly what the report said, any notes besides that the LVEF was fine.

All the best to you,
Jade
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Barbara2

Palpitations

I have had palpitations for quite a few years, before and after chemo. In fact, I just saw a cardiologist yesterday to get some reasurrances about my recent stronger, more frequent palpitations. (I've worn 24 hour heart monitors off and on through the years. The Drs have told me not to worry, that what I have is "normal.")

My question to the cardiologist was, "When are palpitations a conern?"

Answer: If the palpitations are what's called PAC or PVC, we don't worry about them. Even if you have them a lot through out the day. And worrying about them makes it worse. Weather, humidity, how much you've been sweating, stress, and other things can affect it, too. When we are busy and moving around, we are less apt to notice them. When quiet and resting they seem more noticable.

Before he came in to see me, he had his nurse give me an EKG. EKG's last for a very short time (15 seconds maybe?). A PAC showed up on the tape.

Prior to my visit with the cardiologist yesterday, I had seen my family Dr to discuss the palpitations because in the past year they had been very strong and uncomfortable. I described to him the feeling of adrenalin going through my system, resulting in these skipped beats. Sometimes the skipped beats even followed a pattern. (5 beats then skip, 5 beats then skip, etc.)

He said that my description sounded very much like what happens during palpitations and prescribed 25 milligrams of Toprol XL. He said that was a very small amount, and it would kind of tweak the adrenalin which would help with the palpitations. He was right. The first day I took the Toprol, I no feelings of palpitations at all. Over the next 9 months or so, I could feel them getting stronger again. That's when I decided to see the cardiologist for his opinion.

He said my family Dr could up the dose to 50 milligrams. He was going to send him a note.

In the meantime, my mind was relieved and I'm feeling much better. Maybe you need to start with a moniter and go from there. Peace of mind does wonders.

Hope this helps!

Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
BonnieT

Hello
I am on herceptin and getting MUGA's , my muga dropped and I was short of breath. I now take my herceptin weekly instead of every 3 weeks, you can take a lower dose each week that will equal the 3 week coarse. I see my cardiologist every 2 months and have a MUGA before I see him and it has been good ever since.I also take a small dose of coreg and cozaar heart meds , and I take coq10 150 mg every day. I will be done with herceptin at the end of the month !!
good luck
BonnieT
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote