HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
rosie

Exclamation HELP! Can you use herceptin while going through whole brain rads? need answer quick

I am undergoing WBR and one of my consulting oncs has asked why the herceptin was stopped. Does anyone have any info on using herceptin at the same time as whole brain rads?
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

Christine received Herceptin throughout her brain MRI's with no ill effects. Most patients do receive Herceptin and Brain MRI's concurrently.

Rgrds
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
rosie

Exclamation

Joe, while I appreciate the response, I think you might have been misled, the question was not the use of herceptin during MRI's, it is the use during whole brain radiation. Did Christine use it during whole brain? Any other ladies? Any info?
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Rosie,

I meant to say WBR, I also believe that most others on this site also took herceptin while undergoing WBR...Steph?..Lisa?

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
Becky

There have been some indications that using Herceptin during WBR is very, very useful because the radiation temporarily breaks down the blood brain barrier allowing Herceptin entrance to the brain (and assist in the destruction of brain mets).

Stay on the Herceptin during this time.

Kindest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Johanna Johannsdottir

Hello

I agree with Becky and you should take herceptin while on WBR. I just finished my WBR (10 times) and I take herceptin weekly. Prior to the dx of brain mets I was suposed to take herceptin every three week but my onc. , who is also a specilalist in radiation therapy, said the same as Becky. The rads activate the herceptin and it work together to the best restult possible. Stay on herceptin and weekly while on rads. I did and also continued to be weekly 4 weeks after the radiation had finished because they continue to do their job to destroy bad cells for this time. I finnished 3 weeks ago and Im getting stronger every day. Plenty of rest while on rads, drink lot of water and try to walk for 15-20 minutes.

Anyway good luck

Jóhanna
Iceland
Johanna Johannsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote