HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Patricia

What to tell new employer?

I am just about to accept a new job and I am stressing out about what to tell my new employer about treatment. I am still on the herceptin until December and will need to go every 3 weeks. Has anyone had a similar situation? What did you tell your new employer? How did it go?

I have been reading Lopsided's posts and it is making me very nervous.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
tousled1

I have not been in your situation but I believe honesty is the best policy. I would tell my employer that I have to go in for a treatment every 3 weeks and will be away from the office during that time.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:43 AM   #3
Barbara H.

Hi Patricia,
My center opens from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and also gives infusions on Saturday. You might ask about another time, but I assume that you already have. I am also for being honest, and if you have to miss work, I would tell them that you are willing to make it up. Most people have never heard of Herceptin, and don't understand that it is not a chemo. I would let them know that it will not affect your performance. When I explain it to people, I use the example of how a lego works to explain how it binds to the receptors and doesn't allow the cancer to grow. I would also end with it is a great drug that has proven to give women like you an excellent prognosis.
Stay upbeat, and good luck!
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
LOPSIDED

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING YOUR DOCTOR TO WRITE A LETTER EXPLAINING THAT HERCEPTIN TREATMENT WILL NOT AFFECT YOU LIKE THE CHEMO TREATMENTS. WITH IT ONLY BEING ONCE EVERY 3 WKS AND IF YOUR DOING WELL WITH THE TREATMENTS MAYBE A LETTER FROM YOUR DOCTOR WOULD CALM YOUR EMPLOYER IF THEY HAD HESITATION ABOUT HOW IT WOULD EFFECT YOUR WORK. I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING MY DOCTOR TO WRITE ME A LETTER BUT I THINK I WAITED TOO LATE.
12/2007--ENLARGING LYMPH NODES IN ABDOMEN--IXEMPRA, THEN TYKERB
08/2008--COLON TUMOR--A/C AGAIN,
12/2008--ABDOMEN TUMOR--AVASTIN/NAVELBINE FEMARA
05/2009--MET TO SPINE (L2) RADS
CURRENT TREATMENT
07/2009- START ZOMETA MONTHLY, XELODA & ABRAXANE......SURVIVING THE BEST I CAN
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
madubois63

Honesty is the best policy, but by law you do not have to tell your employer about your sickness. If you choose to tell and you loose the job because of it, you may have a nice little lawsuit on your hands. Do a little research with the labor department before you make your decision. If you can't get treatment after work hours, maybe the last appointment on a Friday afternoon? Give up lunch that day? Hopefully you will get the understanding you deserve!!!!
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
mekasan

Please check out this website for useful information

http://www.canceradvocacy.org/resour...mployment.aspx

The page above provides a good overview of our rights as cancer survivors in reference to employment. You can request a copy of the publication that this webpage references.

It is reassuring and suggests that although you do not have to reveal your illness to the employer, it may be in your best interest to do so in order to request what is called a "reasonable accomodation" for you to get your treatment. This reasonable accomodation may simply be a flexible work schedule once every three weeks in order to provide you with the opportunity to recieve treatment.

Specifically, "Federal law and most state laws require an employer to provide you a reasonable accommodation. An accommodation is a change, such as in work hours or duties, to help you do your job during or after cancer treatment. For example, if you need to take time off for treatment, your employer may accommodate you by letting you work flexible hours until you finish treatment. An employer does not have to make changes that would be unduly costly or disruptive."

There are also many other tips.

Good Luck
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Bi-lat mastectomy w/ lat flap recon + cohesive gel implants
1 year (every 3 weeks) Herceptin
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote