HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down Anyone on or tried ARIMIDEX ???

Let me know how you feel and if you have tried Femara ?? I will start on one in a couple of weeks....kat
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
CLTann

I have been on Arimidex for about 9 months. No side effects.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Becky

I have been on Arimidex about 10 months (about 3 weeks after an oophorectomy). Since I had abrupt menopause and then Arimidex taking my estrogen level even further, I have had some vaginal dryness issues and bladder issues (UTIs). Not much else but nothing intolerable either.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Cathya

I am on Arimidex.....about for the last year. I am not having any problems with it. I understood that it raised cholesterol but my onc told me that it was a very insignificant amount.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
panicked911

arimidex

unfortunately guess I am in the minority - lucky for you all - terrible bone and joint aches- stiff muscles- especially in the a.m. - getting out of bed in the a.m. or in the middle of the night - harrowing experince at best -
started glucosimine/ condrotin this week along with PT - keeping fingers crossed that some thing works. Like this i am a 44 year old trapped in a 75 year old body.
Lao on lupron and hercpetain - onc thinks itis the arimidex however...
Could be worse however..........
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Barbara2

I have been on Arimidex since April of 03, so a little over 3 years now. I had odds and ends of side effects after chemo treatment, so it was hard to sort out what caused what for about a year or so after treatment.

But I felt the Arimidex did cause some bone aches. Most of my aches were in the ribs. I worried for quite some time that those aches were mets, but bones scans etc. were OK. I still have rib aches from time to time, but it isn't quite as noticeable anymore or maybe I have adjusted to those feelings.

I am quite stiff , especially when starting to walk after having been off my feet. It takes about 15 seconds or so, before I have a normal gait. Some of that stiffness could be from the CEF chemo, who knows.

The Arimidex did cause some bone loss and I am now taking Actonel for osteopenia.

Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down anyone tried aromison or femara ??

My sister told her Onc that He was going to have to give her pain pills with Femara or switch to another--so she is on aromosin(sp?) Does Arimidex cause weight gain or loss ??
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
Jean

I was on Arimidex for 10 months I did start to have neck pain and joint aches. Exercise is important esp. while on the Arimidex - since you can get
stiff. The exercise helped greatly. Had to stop the Arimidex and within 3 weeks
the joint ache stopped. So I do know it was from the Arimidex - will more than likely go back on in the fall. Have not discussed with dr. if it will be Arimidex again or another inhibitor.

Good Luck,
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 07-26-2006 at 05:55 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
MJo

I have been on it about six weeks. In the morning my ankles are stiff, but when I start walking I'm fine. I also get occasional cramps in my ribs. Otherwise it's very bearable so far, thank goodnes.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Montana

I've been on Arimidex for about 13 months now. I have "trigger" fingers especially in the a.m., weakened hands (can't make a good fist), sharp, aching pain in leg bones that sometimes last for days, weight gain around the middle, and swollen ankles. I tried Femara last fall for about 1 month and didn't notice any changes, so I went back on Arimidex. Cholesterol up about 20 pts.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Petesmom

Thumbs up

I have been on Arimidex for about 10 months now. I had an ooph so that I could take it. Unfortunately, the joint pain I experienced was pretty awful especially upon waking and I had so much trouble standing upright that my husband was always telling me to stop slouching. It got to the point where I considered stopping the drug. I did some research and decided to try a low dose of Cymbalta which is a new anti-depressant and is also prescribed for diabetic neuropathy pain and fibromyalgia. Three days after being on 30 mg of the drug I started to feel better. One month of being on 30 mg a day, I feel great. I have full range of motion back, am standing up straight and have very little joint pain even upon waking. I highly recommend it for those of you who are taking Arimidex and struggling with the side effects.

Petesmom
Petesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #12
chrislmelb

i too suffer............

aches etc. i take glucosamine and fish oil and it has helped a bit. Now i am going to the gym and i think that helps too. I was starting to feel as though my knees weren't working properly to top it all off. Like Panicked911, i felt like a 80yo trapped in 43yo body (my dad is 77 and i think he has less aches). Vaginal dryness big time. sore feet when i get up in morning.
I like what Petesmum had to say so i am going to investigate that drug further. I am already on Cipramil(different names in Oz) but it hasn't stopped it.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:17 AM   #13
chrislmelb

Cymbalta

i just looked up the web and the above drug is a SNRI which means it is very similar to Effexor, so supposedly good for hot flushes too. Could be the answer to all my problems!!
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
Kimberly Lewis

I am supposed to start Lupron shots in a week or 2 then the AI. I have already experienced the EXACT symptoms of bone aches, difficulty walking when first arising. Since I have NOT started yet - I would have to attribute these symptoms to the Herceptin, which I am doing with Tamoxifen. Hmmmmm
ps thanks for the question - I needed to hear these things!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #15
Jean

Tag on

Just had a another chemo trt and my onc. informed me that after chemo is complete I will go back on hormonal treatment along with one yr herceptin.
He gave me a 2 month sample of Femara - since the Arimidex gave me much
joint and bone pain esp. angles, foot and neck & hip. Exercise is a must with whatever we take - I do take the supplements - etc.

He advised that Arimidex and Femara do the same job - but hopefully I may not have the joint pain with the Femara - so I will give it a try for the 2 months.
Also after the first 3 weeks of Arimidex I did have severe headaches. So I came off the Arimidex for 2 weeks then went back on and took the Arimidex at night prior to bedtime and the headaches stopped totaly.

Good Luck with your decision.
Let us know what you decide.

Regards,
Jean
Old 07-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #16
newgg

arimidex

since Jan. 05. Do have the muscle and joint stiffness and soreness but managable with Aleve and glucosamine supplements. Very stiff when first get up or after sitting for a long time....but after the first 15 - 20 old lady steps....I roll along at great rate. Also have the "trigger" finger but again.....managable. Take the med at night so never noticed any headache. No elevation in cholesterol but since I also take Zocor for cholesterol ........did have blood work....Serum Creatine Kinase total.... for that muscle soreness.....wanted to be sure there was no muscle break down. Do a lot of walking.....new puppy helps with that !!
Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
Rendi69CA

I was on femara for a year and a half. It cause stiffness to all joints, numbeness to both hand, the bottom of my feet hurt after sitting or sleeping. I was better keeping myself busy. Arimidex did not work for me.
11/97- 36 radiation therapy.
01/98- NED; tamoxifen.
02/02- breast reconstruction.
08/04- recurrence; mets to rt lung; thoracentesis; femara.
09/04- thoracentesis; ER/PR +, Her2+++.
10/04- total abdominal hysterectomy.
02/06- mets to 9th rib; monthly zometa; arimidex.
06/06- medi port insert; weekly herceptin.
10/06- 3 weeks herceptin treatment.
02/07- mets to liver; arimidex
11/07-liver clear
02/08-chemo taxol/herceptin weekly treatment
12/08-taxol not working
01/09-navelbine/herceptin weelky
03/09-navelbine not working
04/09-xeloda/tykerb
09/09-30 radation to neck; xeloda/tykerb not working
11/09-Gemzar/herceptin weekly
04/10-tykerb/herceptin weekly
06/10-cancer spread to left lung;stop treatment; tap
07/10-right lung collasps; TDM1
Rendi69CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Jean

Arimidex vs. Femara

Onc. says they both do the job - yea, they both will cause joint aches,
I will give Femara a try for a month or two and see what happens but I am not expecting a free "LUNCH" maybe for me the Femara will cause less ache or joint stiffness - I kept up with my exercises which helped the most. I have my doubts re: Femara, but since I did try the Arimidex and had a full round with that I will then choose after the trial period which "DEVIL" to go with!

Will let you know how it goes!

Good Luck to all!
Regards,
Jean
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
kat in the delta

Post kat in the delta

My sister was not Her2 + ,but was Er+ and Pr+, she took tamoxifen for 5 yrs. Then, her onc gave her Femara 1st, but she told him that she was going to Have to be on PAin Meds,too. He switched her to the newest aromotose inhibitor--aromasin--and she hasn't complained. kat
Has anyone tried AROMASIN, YET???? Latest of 3 --kat
Old 07-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #20
kat in the delta

Post kat in the delta

My surgeon gave me some premarin cream for vaginal dryness which she thinks is okay even for ER +.--kat