HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Theodora

Smile New mwmber says hi!!

HI,

New member here, from Toronto Canada, or rather, Brampton which is close to Toronto, but I am moving there in December and quite excited about it! I bought this condo, just before being diagnosed in July of 2003. It was a dream I have always had. It helped me throught the diagnosis.
I was in the clinical trial for herceptin, and so was one of the first to receive it. Dr. assures me I won the lottery of life. Let's hope so.
Any way I can chat with others is helpful.
Next week I am going up to my trailer to relax, read some books, and swim in a beatiful, cool, motorboad free lake. When i immerse myself in her, i feel so healthy. swimming that lake with a fellow breast cancer survivor, fills us both with such hope and strength.

thea
Theodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Rendi69CA

Red face

Welcome! I so so new. I am going to the doctor today for my weekly heceptin treatment. After my treatment I get sleepy and cool. What is your side effect(s)?
You enjoy yourself at the lake.

Rendi Cotton
11/97- 36 radiation therapy.
01/98- NED; tamoxifen.
02/02- breast reconstruction.
08/04- recurrence; mets to rt lung; thoracentesis; femara.
09/04- thoracentesis; ER/PR +, Her2+++.
10/04- total abdominal hysterectomy.
02/06- mets to 9th rib; monthly zometa; arimidex.
06/06- medi port insert; weekly herceptin.
10/06- 3 weeks herceptin treatment.
02/07- mets to liver; arimidex
11/07-liver clear
02/08-chemo taxol/herceptin weekly treatment
12/08-taxol not working
01/09-navelbine/herceptin weelky
03/09-navelbine not working
04/09-xeloda/tykerb
09/09-30 radation to neck; xeloda/tykerb not working
11/09-Gemzar/herceptin weekly
04/10-tykerb/herceptin weekly
06/10-cancer spread to left lung;stop treatment; tap
07/10-right lung collasps; TDM1
Rendi69CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
chrisy

yes, lakes are GOOD things...

and it must be the season - I'm headed off to Lake Geneva, WI and also hope to enjoy some great swimming. I feel so carefree and somehow part of the larger picture when swimming in a lake. I can't explain it. Of course, I will be traveling with my 10 yo neice and staying at a "waterpark" resort, so not sure how relaxing it will be, but still enjoyable.
Welcome to you both...this is a great board with lots of really smart and caring people - glad you found it.
Thea and Rendi (nice smiley face, by the way!), I've been on herceptin since Oct 04; herceptin alone since March 05. One of my oncs said it this way: "it's a great drug"...and there are even better ones in the pipeline - hopefully we will all be lottery winners! My only noticeable side effects are mild diahrea (I never learned to spell that, but you know what I mean) the day after, and really weak nails. Others have reported various other side effects, including headaches, but most are VERY manageable especially compared to chemo.
There's another thread on this topic - I'm not real good at searcing but it was posted by Lani in May 2006 and is called Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Lee

Welcome!

This is a very helpful site, and there are wonderful people on it. I have learned a TON of good information, including many things I have shared with my oncologist. He's also impressed with the quality of information here.

Enjoy your time at the lake - my family has a lake house in Wisconsin and I just LOVE going there.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
dawn

Hi Theodora,

Im fairly new to this site also and from Newfoundland, Canada. I was diagnosed in March of this year with Stage 3, eR+PR+ HEr2+++. Today I did my 5th chemo, with one more to go. YaHoo! When thats done I have to get 25 rads. Probably going to go to Toronto for that, at Princess Margaret. But I think I will be staying with very good friends of mine in Brampton for the 6 week period. Lived in toronto for 10 years myself before moving back home again. Great decision though, because Im so greatful to be around family while going through this ordeal. This site has been wonderful, so much information and the people here are great with support and guidance. Stayed tuned. You'll love it here.

All the best

Dawn

Mar 2006Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 8 of 18 pos 03/14/06: Mastectomy 04/19/06 started Chemo adriamycin, chlophosphamide, taxotere 25 rads
Nov 1, 06: 3 years Tamoxifen, Herceptin (1yr)
Jan 2009 Femara mets to bone aromasin and aredia
June2009: Full Histerectomy
2/22/2010 6 spots in liver 2 mm-10 mm: switched to xeloda and Herceptin will continue with Aredia J
Scan February 2011 new onc, switch to abraxane
April 2011 NED clear organs, 3 spots on bone scar tissue.
Scans August 2mm spot on liver and lungs. now on to tykerb/xeloda
Dec 2011 scans nothing on lungs, liver down to 1 2 mm spot. j
une 2012 another spot on liver on to cisplatin/gemzar.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
Sherryg683

Chrisy..haha...If your niece is anything like my 8 year old daughter, you can kiss your relaxing swim goodbye..lol. I had to laugh. We have a pool in our backyard and if I want to swim without being jumped on, dunked or splashed in the face, I have to sneak out after midnight and do it. I love to go skinny dipping..lol. Although my 17 year old son and his friends have almost caught me more than once doing this. I'll be floating along "au natural" and I hear the sound of loud "fart can" mufflers pulling in my drive way at all hours of the night. Haha, one sight of me nude would turn those poor boys off women in a heartbeat..lol. I would love to have a nice clean boat free lake to swim in here close by, it sounds so nice..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Vicki

Welcome, Thea!

You found the board! Good for you and it's good to have your wonderful, healing energy here, too. You will find so many wonderful women on this site who can be here for you, in a moment, or whenever you need something.

Have fun at the lake.

Hugs,

Vicki
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Kim in CA

Welcome to both of you. You have certainly come to the best place for the lasted info and the most caring support for our type of cancer.

I'm a firm believer in finding something you love to do, and doing it as often as you can. It's the best therapy and we deserve it!
Kim in CA
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote