HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
michele u

When is ASCO?

And can a person get information online after it like San antonio?
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
CherylS

Michelle - I looked on the ASCO website and it is June 2-6. You might want to go there and see what else it has to say about follow-up information. I don't know my way around that website very well. It is pretty much designed for Oncologists, but there did seem to be some things offered. I remember last year after ASCO there were video clips on there of the different presentations. In fact it may have even been while it was still going on.

Thanks for all you do as an ambassador for us! I am nearing the end of my year of Herceptin too, with only two left. I saw your post on this. Do you think ASCO will address this? Will HERA results be in by then?

God Bless,
Old 05-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
michele u

I don't think ASCO will address the Maintance Herceptin which we are wondering. They might just say "it is too soon to know the results of HERA" My onc doesnt' NOT want to give me any more Herceptin. He wants to try and get me Lapatinib when available. I just can't talk him into it!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Asco does have online news as it happens: www.asco.org .

Dr. Eric Winer is scheduled to present the clinical trial results of Lapatinib(Tykerb) on Saturday morning June 3rd. GSK has indicated that they will apply to the FDA for approval in late 2006. The drug has been fast tracked by the FDA, but I would suspect that approval won't be until early 2007.

You may ask your onc to continue Herceptin until the FDA approval of Tykerb.

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
michele u

Joe, thanks for the info. My onc said NO to more herceptin. BUT he did say when Lapatinib gets FDA approved he will order it for me off label! Are you going to ASCO?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
RobinP

Hi Michele,

I was on the online ASCO website a few days ago and it looks like an interesting intinerary. Click on the abstracts, on the ASCO site, and they will down load for you. I think you will be very interested in hearing the discussion on potential cardiac side effects from Lapatinib, I think Piccart is the speaker for that lecture. Also, Dr. Neil Spector, an oncologist and researcher at GSK, is speaking on Lapatinib again at the ASCO. According to Dr. Spector, there are a few things they are still working out with Lapatinib, which confers with the hold up Dr. Winer is addressing.

I know what you are thinking by wanting Lapatinib, a her1 and her2 antogonist. You were her1+ right? Wasn't that in low to moderate amounts? Perhaps the amounts of positivity does make a difference. For example, from
what I have read it is the high levels her3 that result, at least in some small studies, in disease progression while on Herceptin. But it is the low to moderate levels of her3 that result in stable disease or disease regression. I know we are talking about her3 here but perhaps the same holds true for her1, concerning the significance levels. Certainly, this is something to look into, particularly if you are serious about adjuvant Lapatinib. Keep us posted.
KIT,
Robin

Last edited by RobinP; 05-11-2006 at 07:21 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
michele u

Robin,
could you refresh our minds on ERB1 and ERB2. Is that Her1 and Her2? ANd EGFR, is that called someting else too? I tested low for EGFR.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
RobinP

The ERGF family consisits of her1, her2, her3, and her4. Having her4 is not a bad thing. However, the others can be bad players. As you know, her2 is what most of us know we have here on her2support and is rountinely tested.However, you had additional, not so routine, testing done, including her1 as I recall. Her1 is commonly called EGFR, albiet perhaps somewhat incorrectly.erb1 may also be call her1 and erb2 may also be called her2, correctly so.

So getting back to your particular case, you tested low for EGFR which is her1. I would suspect that that is better than testing moderately or high.

Robin

Addendum:

FYI, I was her1 moderate, and her3 moderate. Wouldn't it be something if having her1positive by +1 ( low amounts) or +2 ( moderate amounts)would be the equivalent of having her2 only positive by +1 or +2. As we all know, her2 positive by +1 or +2 is not ominous as opposed to her2 positive by +3 which is ominous.

Last edited by RobinP; 05-11-2006 at 10:39 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
michele u

Robin, Is Her3 called anything else? Did you just do a Her3 test? Where did you get it tested at? Did you test postive for PTEN? I did that too. Mine was positive
Old 05-12-2006, 07:21 AM   #10
RobinP

Answers to in your inquires...

Robin, Is Her3 called anything else?
REPLY- Not to my knowledge.

Did you just do a Her3 test?
REPLY- I did the Her3 test back in Dec. 2005 when I did her1, her2 by FISH and TAB250,pTEN, and IGF testing.

Where did you get it tested at?
REPLY- Targeted Molecular Diagnostics

Did you test postive for PTEN?
REPLY- Yes, and it was positive!