HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
hannah68

Infusion underdose-please help

Dear all,
This is my first time posting, eventhough I have been reading the posts since early last year. This site is my refuge when I am feeling really down..
I am on 30 minutes Herceptin infusion on every 3 weeks cycle for a year (6 mg/kg dosage). Unfortunately, last week, on my 12th session, the herceptin given was underdose ie only 172 mg.
I am supposed to get 330mg per cycle. I managed to maintain my weight to 55kg each time.:-) or :-)??.
The nurses realised their mistake after finishing the infusion.
My oncologist suggested that I am to be given higher dosage of 488 mg for my next appointment.This is to compensate for low dosage last time.
But he didn't know for sure wether his suggestion is okay or not. When I asked him if that last infusion is good, he appeared to be at a loss.
My next treatment is in the middle of next month, and I am scared of what that bigger dosage might do to me. He cautioned me to be on alert for side effects.
Thank you for any info. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Hannah
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
D'xd in Feb 2005,Tumor 5cm,Her2+++,(ER/PR-),1/7 nodes +ve,had neoadjuvant AC therapy, mastectomy,15 RT sessions, started Herceptin in Sept 05,
hannah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
cherylynnie

Hannah,

I weigh a little more than you do. My loading dose was 526mg. I broke out in a rash from that first one. Started itching two days later, then I realized I had a rash on my trunk. So then they tried 25mg, then 138mg, and so far I haven't had a rash. I go tomorrow and will see if they give me the one week dose (138) or a two week dose (276). My normal three week dose is supposed to be around 420. But am now losing weight since I am no longer on the steroids. Thank goodness.

There is a link on this site that will take you to the manufactures website and all the side effects are listed.

Hope this was helpful.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Joe
Webmaster

Hannah,

If it is not too inconvienient, why not ask to get your next infusion a week early?

Regards

Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
JohnL

Underdose

My wife's Onc was the UK head of the HERA trial. Half way through treatment we went on an extended holiday and he seemed quite calm about missing a session or extending the gaps as he explained Herceptin has a long half life - so the underdose may not be a cause for undue alarm.

The higher dose on the next visit or bringing the session forward a week sounds like a good idea.

John L
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
CLTann

Having exposed to many medical articles about dosages, I feel that you should not increase your dosage of infusion. The risk of high dose side effects is not worthwhile. Just as the previous message indicated, the half life of the medication is rather high and the effectiveness will not significantly decrease by one under fusion. You should do well, kiddo.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
hannah68

Dear Cheryl,Joe,John and Ann and others,

Thanks, thanks, thanks. I am the only CA patient under the herceptin therapy in this hospital. I am taking it upon the recomendation of my surgeon who has left for England last December.Sob..sob..My present onco and his team doesnt support me using the drug as "herceptin for early stage patients is still in clinical trial and also I should use it for later when I am in an advanced stage-if it recur". Those are their opinions.
So I am really on my own here..
Thanks again.

Cheers,
hannah
hannah68 is offline   Reply With Quote