HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Blondey

Unhappy MugaScan EF Numbers

I just finished my 17th Herceptin treatment. For the first 12 weeks, I was taking Herceptin with Taxol and mhy EF numbers were good (68%). Have been taking Herceptin once every 3 weeks and after just having my third mugascan, my EF number went down to 54% and my oncologist stopped my Herceptin temporarily. I go for a fourth mugascan on 4/28. What happens if my body can no longer tolerate Herceptin? My oncologist wants me in it for a year and I have only been on it for 5 1/2 months. I'm scared and don't want to develop any damage to my heart.

Blondey
Blondey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
karenann

Hi Blondey,

I had the same thing happen to me last month. I have been on Herceptin since last July, which I started two weeks after my last dose dense Taxol. I completed my 12th infusion (once every three weeks) and went in for my echo and my EF dropped from 65 to 53. My onc explained that when someone experiences a 10% drop in the EF (or more) they have to take you off the Herceptin until it resolves itself.

I went in for a repeat echo and my EF went back up to 61, so I am back on Herceptin. Don't worry, I bet you will be back on Herceptin in no time.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Blondey

Thanks Karen!

I really appreciate the feedback. All this chemo and now Herceptin has made me so nervous. Never had any reactions to Herceptin except for this last mugascan.

Thanks again.

Cathy
Old 04-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
karenann

Cathey,

I hear you on all the chemo, etc.. Before bc the only meds I took were, synthroid and an occasional aspirin.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
michele u

Cathy, My muga started out at 63% then dropped to 46% right around the end of my year of Herceptin. They don't worry about it til it drops below 50% i thought. Anyother thing, i think the echo's read a little higher then the MUGA's. That is what i've found. Mine came back up to 55% after stopping Herceptin after the year. Most of the time it will come up again. Ask to stick with the echo's to monitor. Then you won't have the nuclear med with it.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Blondey

Now I just found out my insurance company has denied me having a Mugascan - too soon after the last one (a month ago). My oncologist is going to call the insurance company and appeal their decision. From what you've all mentioned, an Echo would also give my doctor the information she needs regarding my heart. Right?

Cathy
Old 04-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Jackie

Wink

Blondy,

I have the same thing happen to me with my Muga. Mine dropped from 68 to 54 after 6 months. I too will have another Muga 4/28. Hopefully it will have gone up and my onc will put me back on Herceptin.
1 node+, 1.6cm
46 yrs. old at time of dx.
Completed Chemo 11-05
Completed 1 yr. Herceptin 8-06
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote