HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Viczen

Major BC news story tonight (4.17.6) What is it?

Hello,

Does anyone know what the big news story about breast cancer is going to be about? Brian Williams of NBC and Elizabeth Vargas of ABC both had leads about it.

Thanks,

Viczen
Viczen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
RhondaH

Here's the link

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1851247&page=1

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Joe
Webmaster

Here is the NCI Press release:

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pre...sultsApr172006

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
AlaskaAngel

similarities and differences

I have been looking forward to the results of this trial. But in terms of HER2, I haven't seen anything one way or another to indicate whether it poses the same problem for some HER2's that tamoxifen does, or even that anyone is looking into that question. I wonder if they know which STAR participants were HER2 positive or not, and whether they will look at this question?

AlaskaAngel

Okay, here's what I found:

Development and therapeutic options for the treatment of raloxifene-stimulated breast cancer in athymic mice.

O'regan RM, Osipo C, Ariazi E, Lee ES, Meeke K, Morris C, Bertucci A, Sarker MA, Grigg R, Jordan VC

Authors' Affiliations: Winship Cancer Institute, EmoryUniversity, Atlanta, Georgia.

PURPOSE: Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERM) are used for the treatment and prevention of breast cancer (tamoxifen) and osteoporosis (raloxifene). Mechanisms of tamoxifen-resistance in breast cancer are incompletely understood but current research is focused on crosstalk between growth factor receptors and the estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha) pathway. There is increasing clinical use of raloxifene for the treatment of osteoporosis, but the widespread use of this SERM will have consequences for the treatment of breast cancer in raloxifene-exposed women. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: We took the strategic step of developing a raloxifene-resistant tumor (MCF-7RALT) model in vivo and investigating the mechanisms responsible for resistance. RESULTS: MCF-7RALT tumors exhibited phase I SERM resistance, growing in response to SERMs and 17beta-estradiol. Epidermal growth factor receptor/HER1 and HER2/neu mRNAs were increased in MCF-7RALT tumors. The HER2/neu blocker, trastuzumab, but not the epidermal growth factor receptor blocker, gefitinib, decreased the growth of MCF-7RALT tumors in vivo. Consequently, trastuzumab decreased prosurvival/proliferative proteins: phospho-HER2/neu, total HER2/neu, phospho-Akt (protein kinase B), glycogen synthetase kinase-3, cyclin D1, and the antiapoptotic protein X chromosome-linked inhibitor of apoptosis, whereas increasing the proapoptotic protein, caspase-7, in raloxifene-treated MCF-7RALT tumors. Interestingly, ERalpha protein was overexpressed in untreated MCF-7RALT tumors and hyperactivated in cells derived from these tumors. Only fulvestrant completely inhibited the growth and ERalpha activity of MCF-7RALT tumors. The coactivator of ERalpha, amplified in breast cancer-1 protein was modestly increased in the raloxifene-treated MCF-7RALT tumors and increased both basal and estradiol-induced activity of ERalpha in cells derived from the MCF-7RALT tumors. CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that overexpression and increased activity of HER2/neu might be responsible for the development of raloxifene-resistant breast cancer. The results also suggest that increased expression of basal activity of ERalpha could contribute to the hypersensitivity of MCF-7RALT tumors in response to estradiol because only fulvestrant blocked growth and ERalpha activity.

Published 12 April 2006 in Clin Cancer Res, 12(7): 2255-63.

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 04-17-2006 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: To add article on topic
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Viczen

Thank you!!

Many thanks for the link, which I just read, which focuses on a drug for er+ women. I'm er-, but it's great to see research continue for each and every one of us. Keep the stories and solutions coming.

Big hug to all,

Vic
Viczen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
CherylS

What about AI's?

Now I am confused. What about Evista and Arimidex?