HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
CLTann

Possible arm use restriction after mastec?

I had mastec on my left breast. At the time of operation, the surgeon advised me not to use the left arm too strenously, even blood pressure sleeve is to be avoided. I failed to ask her how long this restriction is to last.

Now, six months after the operation, I can feel under left arm a small round shaped ball. I believe it is normal and expected. My recent visit to my onc, who checked the other breast as well as the underarm areas, did not say any thing being unusual or abnormal.

As spring is upon us, I started to do some yardwork. Moving potting soil bags, planting flowers, carrying water buckets, etc. have been my daily chores. In last few days, I was waken up by the pain under left armpit. Is this the result of over-exertion? Is this lymphodema problem? If so, what are the remedies?

There are many of you who had mastec. I am sure some of you may also have over-exerted. What happened after the over-exertion? Please give me some advice.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
juanita

I didn't have the masectomy, just lumpectomy, but I still have limitations on that side. I'm only supposed to lift no more than 15-20 lbs. And it's for the rest of your life. It's because they removed the lymph nodes and with them gone your body can't make up for the difference and the fluid would build up in your arm. I've over extended myself several times and never gotten a lump there, maybe it's scar tissue building up. I'd ask the onc just in case.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
LOPSIDED

arm restriction after mastec.

I had a mastectomy and was told never to let anyone take blood or do blood pressure on that side. I would ask your doctor about the lump. I was never told to expect anything like that and you will always need to be careful with that arm as far as lifting.
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Sue2001

Hi Ann,

I had a mastectomy and lost most of my chest muscles too. I have shoulder problems and lymphedema on that side. I was told by the onc nurse to never get have blood drawn or get blood pressure taken on that arm. I also am not supposed to lift over 10 pounds with that arm. I have overdone exercise many times and ended up with a swollen arm. I have never had a lump in my armpit though. Maybe you should have the oncologist check it for you just to be safe.
Take care, Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
DeborahNC

Ann,

I discovered a hard lump under my right arm, right in the armpit, the day I was told I had BC. When I went for my exam prior to surgery I told my surgeon who felt around and said he couldn't find it. I ended up having to take his hand and put it on the lump; then he felt it.

The next time you go back be sure to point it out exactly. Mine turned out to be a lump of muscle that I've probably had for years and just never noticed until I had BC as the reason for checking closely.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
sarah

Have the lump checked out. To keep your arm functional, you should have arm lymphatic (spelling?) physical therapy and you might need this forever - I do but mine is my right arm and I'm right handed so it's critical. and you should learn some exercises to do to keep it in shape and keep the lymphs draining properly. One is to raise your arm straight up and pump with your hand - close the fingers tightly and then open them and close tight, pumping the hand so that the blood goes down to your armpit. If you don't take care of your arm, it could become a problem.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote