HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Leslie S

Question Do you need Flaxseed and Fish Oil?

Hi,
For those more know knowledgeable than me on the Omega 3 topic, maybe you could give me your opinions. I am estrogen and progesterin negative so I don't worry about the phyto- estrogen aspect. I currently grind 2 TBS of flaxseed daily and just drink it down mixed in water, with a straw. I do not take any type of Fish Oil. My question is do I need both Flaxseed and Fish Oil or is just the Flaxseed enough?
Thanks for your opinions.
Leslie
Leslie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
R.B.

I am not an expert. There are no absolute answers.

I have read fairly widely.

If you have not looked at the posts on flaxseed on this site that would be a good starting point. (search engine top right above type in flaxseed). There is debate as to whether flax seed is good or bad in terms of phto estrogens but there are cogent arguments that it is benificial. The arguments links etc are contained in the psots on this site. These arguments realte to flax and cannot be generalised to soy.

There is a link on articles of interest the importance of omega three and six to breast cancer which is good background reading. Print it out and go back to it when you need to. It does not matter if you only get the gist at the start you will find you go back to it.

Do you need fish oil preferably in fish and omega three sources (linolenic acid n3 18:3). Linolenic acid found in flax seed is the starting point and basic ingredient in a chain that allows the body to make DHA and EPA and other n3 derivates. There is debate on how well the body does this. Many suggest the body does not do it very well, and particularly if it is not functioning 100% which is most of us. So apart from the fish stock implications the safest solution is to consume some oily fish / fish oil. Some fish contain toxins. Generally the longer lived the fish the higher the toxins. I have seen trials suggesting that the body usage of DHA tails of at over 2grams, which would suggest a dosage of abouts two grams a day.

There are no hard and fast rules. The subject is open and hotly debated, with no guarantees although it does seem to be accepted now in some medical circles that if nothing else it will help with heart health. I personally think it has much wider implications.

It really is best to try and get to grips with the subject yourself so you have a better idea of the implications of the omega three six balance.

For me the key is to cut down on omgega sixes and try and balance the threes and sixes. This takes a little effort and application to work out what contains what, including label reading etc.

It is always best to discuss significant dietary change with your advisors. You can alaways print out technical items to take along with you.

I hope this helps -

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Becky

Here's Something for you RB

I was at a corporate seminar this week with 30 colleagues I really never knew before. BASF has a human and animal nutrition division. I met a guy who is a sales manager for animal nutrition. They primarily sell vitamins but they also sell enzymes and other nutrition products.

We were shooting the breeze and the Omega 3/6 balance came up. Apparently in chickens and pigs, you need to supplement omega 3 to balance with the 6s (1:4 ratio). They do this with manipulating algae to produce EPA. Apparently this is needed for the brain and eye development in young animals. He said that this is an efficient source of EPA and that there is evidence that DHA may not be good for you and only EPA is good for you. He did not know where he heard this and he said he would get back to me on this (if he doesn't, this is a 3 part course and I will see him May 23-25 and again in August). He said that the algae source of Omega 3 is clean and has less environmental concerns (over fishing) and does not go rancid as fish oil can (as well as the n3 source being only EPA).

RB - have you heard or read that EPA is the only beneficial n3. This guy did say that the short chain n3s are good but not every animal is efficient to convert them to the long chain molecules (as has been stated in the literature and on this site), therefore, they should be consumed.

Just a brief on a conversation I had last night and nothing concrete.

Best regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
R.B.

This is a summary of what most of the written material I have seen says.

Re algae - yes some algae are a good source - what fish eat - the beginings of the food chain. I have heard varying reports about how commercially effective algae is, and how easily it can be produced and in what quantity. I have seen reports there are several companies looking at the subject. Yes I think there would be a market for it and foods enhanced with it. I have not seen it commonly available in health food stores. I would be interested in any information as to how commercially possible it would be to produce it in sufficient quantity as a human food supplement.

Eyes and brain - it is commonly reported that omega three and particularly DHA is essential to foetal and ongoing developement of brain and sight amongst other things. Both are reported as essential but DHA is probably the more important and commonly found as a consitutent element of several human tissues particularly the brain and eye.

Ratio - the raio selected for feeding pigs I would image is determined by economics v production weight. I would imagagine a wild pig would have a raition closer to 1:1 because of its wide range of food but that is only a guess.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote