HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
eric

for Joe and Christine: supplement/diet expert

Joe and Christine:

If the majority agreed, I was wondering if it would be possible to get a supplement/diet "expert" on board? It seems like a there are always a lot of posts and confusion pertaining to these topics and I thought it might help. I don't know if it would be possible or if it's still too much of an unproven area to recruit a qualified advisor but I think it would be wonderful if we could.

I'd love to hear others thoughts as well.

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
dogladybarks

I think it's a great idea, as long as it's okay with the board owners. Diet is very important for cancer patients, and too often, it doesn't seem to be important to the doctors...been there. I'd love to see discussion about supplements, ex the "quackery" stuff (cancer *cures*) In both cases though, diets/supplements are not that simple, and should be tailored to the individual by an holistic nutrionist that CAM's and oncs are willing to work with, rather than experimenting on their own.

Sue

Last edited by dogladybarks; 04-01-2006 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: typo
dogladybarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Becky

I think it is a good idea but it will be very difficult to find a person comfortable enough to take on this task (but I would personally love it because I take diet and supplements very, very seriously).

The reason it will be difficult is obvious... this person is giving out medical advice (for the supplements because, I think as far as diet is concerned, it will be the basic anti-cancer diet (that might be tweaked depending on whether you are hormone positive or hormone negative)). And this advice would be given out over the internet without a one-on-one consultation as well. This is very risky to this person considering, I assume, that Christine and Joe would want someone with credentials and a degree.

At one time, Al (from Canada) and I were going to put together a supplement chart with hyperlinks. Both of us got very busy and now, Al is very occupied. If we don't get someone on the board to do this as you suggest, I would be willing to start working on this (but my degrees are in biochemistry and not nutrition so...) and this chart was only going to be guidance for everyone to make their own decisions. It was also only going to be based on what Al, other members from this board and I personally know from our own research. It would have contained things we do and things we know but do not personally do (but other members may do) and why the supplement is taken.

Hopefully, we could get a qualified person to answer our questions and I do think it is a wonderful idea.

Have a great weekend.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
penelope

Count me in!!!!!!! This would be great.