HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Maggie

Unhappy New pain

The last two days I have been having some pain in my left hip that shoots through and earlier this morning my hip bone was sore to touch but isn't right now! ?? The pain comes and goes,, even as I write.

Is it too soon to call the doctor?
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
jojo

Question Very basic rule of thumb...

Maggie,

If something persists after 2 weeks, it is recommended that we see a doctor about this. How long have you been having this hip pain?

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
madubois63

Several weeks ago, I had a nagging pain through my arm, down my side, in to my hip and down my left leg. I was in agony. My onc sent me to the hospital for a Doppler Sonogram to make sure there was no blood clot causing the problem - thank God there wasn't. I was convinced I had met's in my bones...After having my regular scans (that were already scheduled), one of the reports came back saying I had a hernied disc in my lower spine (no met's). A few days later (still in pain), my mom bought me a new bed - one of those therapeutic Swedish foamy things. After two nights on this bed, I literally jumped out of bed and felt absolutely amazing. The old bed I had was horrible - like sleeping on a rock. I would mention the pain to the doctor - I always do. I learned THAT lesson. I hope your problem is a simple one that can be fixed easily...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Maggie

jojo,

Thank you for this information. I've only been having pain for three days, now, off and on. Recurrance did cross my mind and I was a bit upset.

My cancer center has a breast cancer nurse and heads the breast cancer tumor conference every week. She is always there for us and we all know her well. I called her and we talked this afternoon. She thinks it might be too early too, but is going to look for my doctor talk to him and get back to me.

She just called and the doctor said it's a bit early, but he sees me next Wednesday before my herceptin treatment and we'll talk then.

again, thanks for your reply!

Maggie
Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Maggie

Maryann, thank you too for your reply! I know it's something we all fear as soon as a new pain or symptom starts. I'm so glad the new mattress helped!

Maggie
Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Esther

If by swedish foamy things you mean something like a tempurpedic bed, I totally agree. Anyone with cancer aches should consider one.

I was climbing out of bed creaking in the morning with aching joints and it would take me hours to losen up. I felt like I was 105.

Since getting the tempur-pedic bed I jump out of bed and hardly have any aches.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
madubois63

Esther - Yes, I got the tempurpedic bed. I just didn't want to post the name but since you did...I told my doctor that it should be a prescription given when someone is first diagnosed since we spend so much time in bed. I have reduced the amount of pain medication I take by nearly 90%. My posture has improved tremendously, and I can now walk up and down stairs - which was nearly impossible just a few weeks ago - no lie. Like you, I felt like I was 105 and seriously looking at canes and those courtesy electric carts in Walmart. When I win the lottery, I am buying everyone I know one of these!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Monique M

I agree-- a good bed makes a huge difference. I had a great deal of pain during chemo. We purchased the sleep number bed with the theraputic top and I wake up without pain. I wish we would have know this before I started chemo.

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
Sandy H

That does it. My hubby has been wanting to get me one but I have two memory form pads on my mattress and it made such a difference. He says the best is yet to come and that I should have it and so I will tell him I will take it. Thanks for the help in deciding to do this. You are all such a big help. Sending you all a hug. Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
saleboat

Hi Maggie--

I've noticed too that I have pain that comes and goes in different parts of my body-- ribs, hips, thighs. It is manageable, and seems to be a result of increased activity since ending treatment for early-stage bc. I'm not sure of your situation, but I do have the sense that our bodies are not the same as they were pre-tx and that it will take some time to work the kinks out.

And I've heard great things about the foam mattresses too. I have a foam neck pillow that has been an absolute God send. Now, I've also heard about the mattresses that they can be a little warm, and also (ahem) a little hard to maneuver around if/when you and your chosen partner are in the mood. Just an fyi, not a show-stopper. There was a big conversation about these beds in a design blog that I follow-- apartmenttherapy.com if you'd like to read more.

Good luck, and hope you're feeling pain free very soon.

Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #11
Lisa

I don't personally believe in the 2 weeks "rule." If it hurts enough to worry you, I'd contact the doc. Mine told me he'd rather talk to me or see me in the office than see me in the ER on a Saturday night.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Esther

Sandy, so glad you are getting a tempur-pedic bed, you will not believe the difference it makes. A cancer patient probably benefits the most, since we normally get aches and achy joints from treatments or the cancer itself.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote