Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Unregistered

Recurrence Question

This post was emailed to me.

Regards
Joe

I WANTED TO POST MY STORY AND ASK OTHER HER2 POSITIVE CANCER SURVIVORS ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE. I AM A 40 YR OLD MOTHER OF THREE BEAUTIFUL GIRLS. DIAGNOSED THANKSGIVING OF 2004. HAVE BEEN UNDEGOING HERCEPTIN THERAPY SINCE THEN. HAD CHEMO FOR A YEAR AND A HALF, TAXOTERE/CARBOPLATIN PLUS HERCEPTIN. HAD 38 RADIATION TREATMENTS. STAGE 3B WITH 12 POSITIVE LYMPH NODES. RIGHT BREAST RADICAL MASTECTOMY IN APRIL 2005. STILL FIGHTING THIS BATTLE BUT WITH A MORE POSITIVE AND SPIRITUAL ATTITUDE. MY FAMILY IS VERY SUPPORTIVE AND ENCOURAGING. TRYING TO GO THE ORGANIC WAY....BUT, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE SO I EAT MOSTLY EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.
MY QUESTION IS, HAS THERE BEEN ANY CAN RECURRENCE WHILE ON HERCEPTIN? JUST FOUND OUT THAT NEW CANCER IS ON MY LEFT CHEST LYMP NODES, CLAVICLE AREA. PLEASE RESPOND, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THANKS!

Faith'hope
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Sherryg683

I don't have personal experience with it but I have read from others that have had reoccurance while on Herceptin. I don't think Herceptin is full proof and isn't totally effective for everyone....sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
aquinis2000

maybe this will help

here are somelinks to previous post here on the subject. there are alot of stories here, alot of survival stories and of courageous women like yourself. Good luck with your journey. everyone here is willing to talk and help with all the things swirling around in your head !

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...tin+recurrence

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...tin+recurrence
aquinis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Lolly

Dear Faith'Hope;

I too was diagnosed at Stage 3B, in '99, with positive lymph nodes. At that time Herceptin wasn't approved except in Stage 4, so I did standard treatment but recurred to supraclavicular nodes about 6 months after treatment was finished. Then I started Herceptin/Navelbine, went into remission for over 2 and 1/2 years when I had second recurrence to same nodes. Again Navelbine/Herceptin, this time achieved stable disease for 1 year, went back on Navelbine/Herceptin (it's a very effective drug in combo with Herceptin) and am into my 4th month on this combo for the 3rd time although we just added in Xeloda to give extra oomph to the treatment.

The key for me has been to keep the disease at a manageable level, with good quality of life, and so far this approach has worked very well in that I haven't had spread to major organs, bones or brain. Whether that's because of my treatments, and that I seem to be what's termed a "responder", or because even though I have Her2+ cancer there may be some aspect of my cancer's profile that renders it less aggressive, I don't know.

Just remember there is much to be hopeful about, and even with recurrence Herceptin in combo with certain chemo's can still be very effective in "keeping the brakes on".

Best wishes and big Hugs,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Shell

I had a recurrence while on herceptin/taxotere. I had just completed surgery for a complete axilla dissection, and was staged IIIC and was doing the chemo as a safeguard. It was my second try with herceptin, and I appear to be one of those who do not seem to benefit from it. However, I agree with the other post-ers regarding other options for treatment. I am currently in the xeloda with or w/out lapatinib clinical trial, and although I don't get the lapatnib, I am hopeful that these and the other lapatinib trials will move the drug ahead for aproval so that I can try it also...

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
jojo

Post Hi Faith'Hope

I also had recurred to supravlavicular nodes a year, after I'd completed the standard chemo regimen. Been almost 2 years now, nodes still stable. Mostly Herceptin & hormonals at the beginning, then later Herceptin alone, but just added to Xeloda since last fall. Pretty good quality of life.

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote