HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
pattyz

mickey, have you seen these potential help sites?

{{{mickey}}}
Your children are fed by having a devoted mother! If you have the energy, there are places that can help with a variety of needs.

This is what I found as far as help with treatments:

http://www.cancerlinksusa.com/financial_aid.htm

Here, there are many links to potentially helpful groups...

more hugs,
patty xoxox
Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
mickey

Thanks so much Patty. You seem to really care. What I really need is a way to pay $100 per month and let the rest ride. These hospitals and drug companies will get their money as soon as I die. Can't they wait. I really will pay. If I pay everything, I have nothing to live off of and yet any "help" organization sees that I have money and won't help. I can't pay every cent I have and have nothing to live off of. I just don't get it.

Mickey
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Lani

health insurance law source (law varies by state)

Mickey--if you live in California there is a fast-track to Medicaid (if you still have insurance and meet their requirements they will even pay your premiums for you!)

The following is from a site which summarizes health care law in different states with an email address you could write to find out more about breast cancer specific laws:
The Georgetown University Health Policy Institute has written A CONSUMER GUIDE FOR GETTING AND KEEPING HEALTH INSURANCE for each state and the District of Columbia — fifty-one in all. These Consumer Guides are available at this web site and will be updated periodically as changes in federal and state policy warrant.
The Guides summarize your protections, and so may not answer all of your questions. They are not a substitute for legal, accounting, or other professional advice. Please consult a qualified expert before making any decisions about your own health insurance. The authors, the Health Policy Institute, and Georgetown University specifically disclaim any personal liability, loss or risk incurred as a consequence of the use and application, either directly or indirectly, of any information presented herein.
NEW!*We've recently updated the Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland and Oklahoma guides.

Read our periodic newsletter, about protections consumers have – and lack – as they seek to buy and keep private health insurance.

other helpful links

the link is: http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/

has a link to a Kaiser Foundation service to help appeal health insurance refusals

Hope this helps!
Lani
Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 PM   #4
Lolly

Mickey, at this point you should forget about trying to keep the hospital happy; they can "write off" your debt if they choose to. Your children's needs and your peace of mind come first...I know it's hard to tell the bill collectors you can't give them any money, but that may be what you should consider doing until you can get some help from social services. Hang in there. I wish I had more concrete help. HUGS.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
pattyz

mickey,
yea...there's alot in this life that I don't 'get' either!

ok, I am not sure what you're talking about when you say: "...sees that I have money, they won't help." But, if you mean you have a large amount of cash in a bank account, you can gift up to $11,000 a year without penalty... you could set up a trust acct of some type for your children. One in which you were able to make withdrawals for their benefit.

The point of that is to do a 'pay down' of your own account. Or you might be able to pre-pay some bills you know will be occuring regularly ie. rent/mortgage.

This may not be at ALL what you're talking about and if so, I apologize and ......... forget I mentioned it!! lol

And, what Lolly says is right on anyway, without making things complicated!

more hugs,
pattyz
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
mickey

Thanks, again. What I mean about having money, is that if I live, I have to have some amount for my kids and I to have each month and that is what I have. If I deplete that, there is nothing but the house. I could do fine if they let me pay $100 per month. There is a guy in Oregon that got taken to court and forced to pay his medical bills and had to sell his house, lost everything and was out on the street. I have tried working with the hospital but they refuse. I am sorry, this is not an appropriate subjuctand I will stop. My chances aren't good and then it will all stop.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
Susan M(PA)

I would find a non-profit health care advocate to answer your questions,
some work with attorneys pro bono. I wish I knew of a specific group,
each works differently, possibly some of the links others have given
will refer you. I also agree, this should be the least of your concerns,
but I understand, and getting professional advice may be the best way
to ease your financial worries.

Susan M
Susan M(PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Lolly

Patient Advocate Foundation

Good idea. Mickey, here's a link to such and organization:

Personalized Help—Direct Patient Services
http://www.patientadvocate.org/help.php

"Patient Advocate Foundation offers assistance to patients with specific issues they are facing with their insurer, employer and/or creditor regarding insurance, job retention and/or debt crisis matters relative to their diagnosis of life threatening or debilitating diseases. Our professional case managers and attorneys specialize in mediation, negotiation, and education, advocate on behalf of patients…"
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote