HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
clisa

liver problems

Well I started my xeloda - almost two weeks back and have been tolerating it very well - up to this past wednesday and thursday when my stomach starting getting very upset - keeping me up most of thurs. nite and then causing me to vomit my breakfast and my xeldoa Fri Am - called the clinic and was told probably only sensitive stomach and to take my anti nausea medication before my next few doses and all would be well.

Good - that seems to have done the trick. Feeling much better in the tummy area. But ... noticed yesterday that my urine is very dark and my skin has got an allover itch to it ... from what I know and have been reading this could be indicative of further liver problems. I also know xeloda can build up in your liver. Why is this drug given to people with liver mets if it is hard on your liver??

Anyways - stomach not feeling so good now - nerves I suppose - gonna call and get into the doc tommorrow hopefully. This is just so frustrating - was really hoping for some sucess here with the xeldoa as my other chemo's including herceptin have been unsuccessful.

What are my other options if I have to go off the Xeloda - help - feeling a little scared here.

Lisa
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
tammymarie1971

Hi Lisa..Sorry I can't help you with the xeloda..I've never had it..but I did have liver mets..I noticed you're in Vancouver. I am as well..well abbotsford..Do you get blood drawn regularily? because this would show if you liver was anywhere close to failing, if it was I would think they would put you on something different!Do you go to the BC cancer agency? I used to go to the one in Surrey..but I have since left there and now go to Lion's Gate. I wonder if your dark urine is from dehydration from vomitting???? Or some kind of side effect..I know only to well how thoughts come about and then we obsess about them until they are full blown fear!!!!!!! I hate that when that happens!!!! Have you been on navelbine/herceptin?? Lots of good results from that, Anyway take care.
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
al from Canada

Act quickly - from Al & StephN

Dear Lisa,

The same happened to my Linda when the doctor put her onHerceptin + Navelbine + xeloda. I noticed she was getting worse quite rapidly (her jaundice) and after reading the drug info I took her off the xeloda.
Many, many patients have had a tremendous amount of success for liver mets using the herceptin / navelbine combination. If your urine is turning dark that means you are a fewdays away from jaundice so you don't want to wait for treatment. If things don't resolve in one week OR you can't get the navelbine do not hesitate to drive to University of Washington for further assessment. As well avoid all things that could be toxic to your liver such as tylenol, alcohol, etc. Consider milk thistle as well for liver support as well as olive oil for HER2 support.

My advice, if you are not pleased with your treatment plan and you are unsure about the information you are getting then get a SECOND OPINION ASAP!! This is not something you want to play around with but listen to your intuition. Also, this is very treatable in the majority of people so don't panic since stress isn't good for you either.

Al

Hi there - a little more advice. If you have had Taxol, this is also a possiblity. For my extensive liver mets I took both of these drugs along with Herceptin. This combinatin shut down the mets in about 7 months.
The obvious point is that it looks very much like you are having a bad time on Xeloda and have to find another drug that you CAN tolerate.

Be sure to drink lots of fluids and not sweet juices. Herbal teas containing red clover are liver cleansing.
If you do not get your vomiting under control you may need to go to the hospital for IV hydration.
Thinking good thoughts for you.
StephN
(from San Antonio - waiting for the plane out)