HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Unregistered

Unhappy 2a, 0 nodes, then 2yrs later bone and liver mets

It's been a rough 2 years, now they are telling me I am terminal. I'm 30 years old, with 3 young children. My oldest is going through chemo for adrenal cancer (we have a genetic cancer) and all my children tested positive. Now I am going to have rads, cause I have bone mets in a lot of places and liver mets, probably even some stomach mets. I have so little hope that I have much time left. Yet, I don't feel much like I will die any time soon. I have a little cramping in my stomach area, my back hurts a little, my chest bone, pelvis, knees, and heels are a little creaky and sore, and that's about all I can really complaign about. But yet I feel like there is very little hope. I will be taking Herceptin, Taxol, and Paraplatin + Rads. I don't know what they are going to do about the liver and possible stomach mets. I'm not thinking they can really remove my spine mets either... How long do people tend to live with this big of mets?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Lolly

Please don't despair...there are many, many members of this group who have survived bone and liver mets and more. I'm am sure you'll hear from them soon, in the meantime here's a link to our Member's Stories page; you'll find lots of reason to hope from these accounts of "coming back from the brink". Hugs to you, Lolly

Member's Stories
http://www.her2support.org/stories.html
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
tammymarie1971

I'm sorry to hear about you going through this crap!!! I know how frightening it can be..I was first dx'd in Dec.'01 I was 6 mos pregnant with #4 child..I was 30yrs old.Mastectomy chemo & rads. Reoccurence in Mar'04 to the liver!!YUK!! I was terrified...I did 3 rounds taxol/herceptin the tumor shrunk by half..Liver resection took out 25% of the liver 3 more rounds taxol/herceptin..Reoccurence to spine!!YUK!!! Once again I was terrified..However I changed oncs..which was a good move. The new onc doesn't feel the need to keep reminding me about statistics!!! I know them!!! However don't let anyone ..I mean anyone take away your HOPE!! because there is always some!!! Herceptin has been a great find!! And there are lots of women here on the boards that were given very little hope and they are still around and their quality of life is good!!!
I know your scared sweetie ..we all get scared sometimes and especially right after a new diagnosis or a new progression..but there are plenty of things out there for you to try before you give up!!! If your onc is not fighting along side you or at least supportive to try different combos of chemos than please find another one!! It really makes a big BIG difference when you feel like your doctor is fighting along side you!!!
May I also suggest ativan when you can't get your fears under control!! It works great... I take it every once and awhile until the "cloud" passes. I'm sure it's more helpful on your body than the stress of FEAR!!!
Big ((((hugs)))) to you and your family!!! Come back here often!!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.

Last edited by tammymarie1971; 12-11-2005 at 10:17 AM..
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
fourboysmom

From one young Mom to another. Hang in there. You touched me deeply and I will pray for you. We are all in this together. Herceptin does wonders. Peace and love, Janet in CT
Old 12-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
Cindi

by Winston Churchhill.

"We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets. We shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender" House of Commons speech 6/4/1940

"Never give up, never give up, never, never, never!"

Janet (previous response) is so very right, her quote on Winston Churchill hit me hard.

My onc. just last week started quoting me statistics (I have had skin mets for 1 1/2 years) and if you will, "tried to steal my HOPE". It was a real downer, but I agree with above respondents....NEVER let anyone try to steal your HOPE. Keep investigating different tx options, different anything.

I use Ativan daily. It really helps when those negative thoughts creep in.

God Bless,
Cindi
(Proud Mother of 3 boys)
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
StephN

Wink Possibilities

Hello "fellow fighter" -
I hope you live near a major medical center with good cancer care. You should be able to have your mets on spine or hips radiated - I hope that is what you meant.

Taxol was a good drug for me and helped beat out my extensive liver mets along with Navelbine and Herceptin. Some oncs do not like to hit the mets too hard, but I believe with stubborn mets you need more than a one- or two-pronged approach. The three-proonged approach worked for me and within seven months of weekly treatment I was clear of the mets. It was not easy, but I used daily Neupogen and the long-acting epo was just new then. My blood counts stayed in range to stay on treatment.
Taxol has shown good synergy with Herceptin and worked well for many of us here with hard-to-treat disease.

Don't let the "terminal" word get in your way of putting up a fight. We here who have/had mets refer to ourselves as STAGE IV - NOT terminal.

Stay with us and let us know how you are faring, OK?

Best wishes coming your way ...

Last edited by StephN; 12-12-2005 at 02:25 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote