HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Unregistered

Thumbs up Olive oil contains triacylglycerols... free fatty acids, glycerol, pigments, aroma ..

As usual complex!

I posted this a a separate item as it is so interesting and informative. Thanks for prompting me. I learn somthing every day.

RB

ABSTRACT

http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/1/205.htm

Composition of olive oil and its nutritional and health effect

Apostolos K. Kiritsakis

Professor, School of Food Technology and Nutrition, Technological Educational Institution of Thessaloniki, Sindos Thessaloniki, Greece
e-mail: Kiritsak@athena.compulink.gr

ABSTRACT

The purpose of this paper is to describe the factors affecting olive oil composition and to overview the effect of its composition on nutrition and human health. It is well accepted that the high mono-unsaturation of olive oil and the presence of several other constituents such as phenols and tocopherols, chlorophyll and pheophytin, sterols, squalene, aroma and flavor compounds and other exhibit a significant role on the health. Olive oil as a highly monounsaturated oil, is resistant to oxidation. Also the presence of phenols, tocopherols and other natural antioxidants prevent lipid oxidation within the body eliminating the formation of free radicals which may cause cell destruction. The aroma and the flavor compounds of olive oil, as well as, the chlorophyll and pheophytin pigments increase the stomach secretion and facilitate the absorption of the natural antioxidants, which furthermore protect the body tissues from oxidation. Epidemiological studies suggest that the high consumption of the monounsaturated olive oil in Mediterranean countries, is related with the low rates of cardiovascular disease (CHD), cancer of the breast and of high life expectancy.

KEYWORDS: phenols, radicals, monounsaturation, aging, aroma compounds, HDL cholesterol, assimilation
MAIN OLIVE OIL CONSTITUENTS

Olive oil contains triacylglycerols and small quantities of free fatty acids, glycerol, pigments, aroma compounds, sterols, tocopherols, phenols, unidentified resinous components and other (Kiritsakis, 1998). Among these constituents the unsaponifiable fraction (Fig. 1), which covers a small percentage (0,5-1,5 %) plays a significant role on human health........
Old 12-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
Unregistered

Olive oil composition / oil quality

Here are two more links as to composition.

One is so small you are best printing it out, but readable in print (just) and interesting.

The other is technical but does illustrate the huge difference between the best and worst as to the oleic acid and linoleic (omega 6)

oleic 55% -83%
linoleic 3.5% - 21%

which is very significant if you are trying to minimise/reduce omega sixes.

http://r0.unctad.org/infocomm/anglai...c/Cxs_033e.pdf

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/NFSC/ShaneArdo.pdf

RB
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Rupali

So I am confused now. I use Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil which I buy from WholeFoods. Is that bad or good? What should I look for on the label?
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Unregistered

If you read the link in the in first post

http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/1/205.htm

it will help, as it explains the make up of olive oil and some background..

If you look at the chart

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/NFSC/ShaneArdo.pdf

You will see the orange (lower quality oil) has on average poorer results than virgin olive oil blue. Also interestingly the chart for phenols does not include figures for the lower quality oil. Who commissioned and paid for the report might be a useful piece of information.

As to fatty acid content they seem to be not too far apart according to the table, but some virgin oils may have higher omega six by about six percent, but as bottles to not give a break down its hard to know what is what when you are buying, and not critical I guess if you are generally balancing your threes and sixes

In essence if you do not have time to look at the above it looks very much as if quality virgin oils are the best, and low "acidity" (usually shown on the label) indicates greater care in production according to one of the posts.

"The free fatty acidity is thus a direct measure of the quality of the oil, and reflects the care taken right from blossoming and fruit set to the eventual sale and consumption of the oil. "

Beyond that it is I guess a subject in itself and a bit like wine, you will see from the first link that the subtler qualities depend like wine where it is grown, when it is picked etc.

I hope this helps if you have not already looked it up for your self. I have learnt somthing as well as I did not know the significance of the acidity measure so thanks.

RB