HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
Donna

Navelbine

Hi all, My mom is on herceptin and aredia, Onc wants her to start a new drug called Navelbine. Has anyone here had this drug? if so did you have any side effects? She will have it same day as her Herceptin treatment. Thanks for any info ! God Bless

Donna
Old 11-11-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
Unregistered

navelbine

Hi Donna,

I am on weekly Herceptin and weekly Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off). Just started 3 wks ago. Also on Aridia every other mo. I did the same thing (Herceptin and Navelbine schedule) for 6 months from last August through this February which causes my tumors on sternum and lungs to shrink almost completely but the sternum ones came right back after stopping Navelbine. Also did neupogen injections to keep red cell count up. Constipation was a challenge. By the time I would have the 3rd Navelbine (before the 1 wk off), I would start getting a couple funny bumps on some of my fingers that were some kind of fungus. They would recede after the 1 wk off. After the 6 mos, I had lost close to 40% of my hair. I have also been plagued by urinary tract infections which were not caused by the Navelbine but probably weren't helped either. This is all I can think of at the moment.

Best wishes to your mom.

Karen
Old 11-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Shell

Hi -- I was on navelbine and herceptin for 3 months for preventative measures after cytoxin/ epirubicin /taxotere. Navelbine/herceptin was during radiation for me. I had no memorable side effects, and my hair grew back while I was on it... It was a very managemeable regime. Good luck w/ things.

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
jojo

Question Remind me of Aredia...

Aredia sounds awfully familiar to me.... is it a chemo drug for lung cancer?

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Lolly

Hi Donna; I'm on Navelbine/Herceptin for lymph node metastasis. I receive it weekly; side effects for me have been stomach pain and nausea if I don't take medication(Prilosec daily and I'm given Zofran before infusion, plus have pills to take at home but usually only need one additional pill the evening of treatment), muscle and joint aches along with mild cramping, some mild neuropathy of fingers and toes, and low red and white blood cell counts which result in tiredness and risk of infection. The side effects are pretty manageable, your mom's onc/nurses will fill you in on that; the trade-off is that Navelbine is a very effective drug with a proven track record. Good Luck, and keep us posted

<3 Lolly

Last edited by Lolly; 11-12-2005 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Incorrect Drug Info! Not Zometa, I take Zofran...
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Maggie in Maryland

Navelbine and Herceptin

Donna,

I have been on weekly Herceptin plus Navelbine since March 2003. The Navelbine is administered two weeks on and one week off. I have tolerated this treatment quite well. Because of one day of treatment, I can function the other six days of the week. The side effects are mild neuropathy in the feet and a lowered red cell count, thus fatigue. These are being counteracted with iron pills and an injection of Aranesp every two weeks when needed. I rely on premedications through the IV to keep me from ill effects. Let me know if you want to know the premeds that are administered to me.

Good luck to your Mom,
Maggie in Maryland
Maggie in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
Donna

Thanks all, i will let you know how things go . God Bless all !