HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
michele u

Has anyone else been wanting to ask their dr. to give them Hereptin with Taxol if they didn't get it in the study? I was in the Herceptin adjuvant trial and got Herceptin after Taxol, not with. I feel like if i could just get 3 doses of Herceptin with Taxol i would be happy!! I know i'm just being a little worried, but we all know how that is! Does anyone think they would actually give it to me if i pay for it ?
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Becky

Michelle

You should ask your current oncologist and then if unsatisified, ask around. You will always wonder if you don't. I am 6/52 for Herceptin and started 4 months out of chemo (because of the announcement of the trial results) and had to fight for it. If I didn't try, I don't know if I would be on Prozac or in a strait jacket. But it would be one or the other.

One thing is whether there is a marked benefit of doing it since (I am assuming) you had the 4 ACs and 4 Taxols and then had Herceptin sequentially (much like I am doing). You gave me courage that doing this is the right thing in a previous post of mine and that you are still NED and that there was benefit to get Herceptin sequentially.

I know how its like to have to do what you have to do so do it. Ask to get it and the benefits it might give.

Best regards,

Becky
Old 07-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
*_Julie_*

I too got Herceptin after Taxol and the trial results came after I finished all my chemo and radiation. So as soon as I heard the trial outcome I asked my oncologist whether he could give me some more Taxol with Herceptin and he said a big NO. If somebody gives I am ready to take as I keep blaming myself for not pushing my oncologist or change to another onc to get it in the first time.

One of the reasons the oncs are hesitating to give is the efficacy of Taxol will not be as good as using it for the first time and also may be the body gets resistant to Taxol and in case of need like in metastatic condition they can not use anymore. I am really interested to know what the other oncs say about this.

regards,
Julie