HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
michele u

I want to pick your brains. I have done some research on CXCR4. Mdanderson is doing testing on this, they think they have discovered why Her2 pos breast cancer is more deadly. It's because of the link between CXCR4 and her2. They are wanting to try to develop a drug that can block the CXCR4, then making is less invasive. I tried to see if there was any natural occuring CXCR4 inhibitors to take. Well the only thing i found was Tannic Acid. Does anyone know what this is, and how to get it? I know there are 2 kinds, the kind that can be found in teas, and the other they use for furniture stripping(Woulndn't want to get those mixxed up!) I want to find a natrual occcuring inhibitor, and maybe it will help!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Kristen

Hi Michelle,
I think it's great that MDAnderson and others are working so hard to see why some people benefit from Herceptin and others don't.

I don't have the best memory on specific names, but aren't they running a test on some other protein as well? PD something? I look at all the vaccines and you have to be ADL or something positive and the only test that is available is for mets patients. I would like to see a list of all the things that could be or would help in the making that might be worth trying, but they are all in study stages.
In information I have read they talk about TK and Ki67 and how it all flows and it is all so overwhelming. I don't know how to keep up with all of it.

Is it one thing or another or is all of this intertwind? I just don't know what is the right thing to be looking for anymore. Any help in decifering this all would be greatly appreciated. You have been so good at keeping up with this all. Thank you for your efforts. Take Care K
Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
michele u

I did some searching and found some sources of tannic acid:
dates,persimmons,grape skins,red wine,dutch process cocoa,sorrel,rhubarb,spinach,tea,pepper. I'm trying to find a tea i could buy online that contains a high amount of tannic acid.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
StephN

Was going to post about wine, but you just mentioned it in your list of food items.

I think a very interesting question would be to ask one of my winemaker friends what changes Tannic Acid might undergo in the winemaking process, and if it would change chemically.

If we want some effective inhibition of the CXCR4, then we want to use a food that is closest to natural state, reasoning that this would be most effective before any kind of processing.

Keep the great info coming in, Michele!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Sole

Hi Michelle,

I've been reading and I saw your name a few times so I decided to write to you. I'm not sure how to post my own questions in this site but here I go:

I was diagnosed last week with breast cancer and her 2 positive. I'm waiting for a pet/ct result to talk again to my onc, but I'm pretty much clueless as what's next for me. After the results will the onc give me a treatment. how long is safe to wait for treatment after diagnosed?? when I do chemo do I have to stay in the hospital or is an outpatient treatment?

sorry to ask you all this, I'm just overwhelmed.

thanks,

Sole
Old 02-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
*_Barbara H._*

Hi,
Speaking of tanic acid, what are people doing about drinking wine who have liver mets. I have given it up with the exception of an occasional toast. (My daughter's wedding) Does anyone have information on this.
Thanks,
Barbara H.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
michele u

Sole,
Please email me. mulmer@mainstaycomm.net
I would love to help you!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
michele u

Barbara,
I think the best thing for you to do is to eat red grapes!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
*_jeff_*

Hi Michele (and all)

Mostly I just wanted to thank you, Michele, for staying a step ahead! This is fascinating material you've come up with--and I really appreciate it.

I like to think that your findings explain why Rachel has been desperate for persimmons this winter (not so easy to find here in the Northeast but thank goodness for the local Armenian grocery stores that stock them)--maybe her body was telling her that it was something more than how delicious they are.

As for cxcr4, my quick search seems to show that this is a real target in the HIV context--there is at least one trial (see link below) testing an oral cxcr4 inhibitor that is now recruiting for Phase II

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00089466?order=1

The only other thing I wanted to add is that some women use Resveratrol, which is an extract of the skin of red grapes. The one thing to watch out for here is that it has been shown to have estrogenic qualities--so if you are er+ you might want to be extra careful.

All the best,
Jeff
Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
*_jeff_*

And the next question is: are "tannins" the same as tannic acid? If so, one supplement that is, reputedly, high in tannins is rhodiola, which has been getting a lot of attention lately--

jeff
Old 02-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
michele u

Jeff,
I don't think they are exactly the same thing, but along the same line. If that makes sense. I will look into persimmons, i don't know what they are? Are they a fruit?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
lori

thank you so much for this info! I am a newly diagnosed her2 gal (31 yrs. old) and am looking for anything encouraging to lift my spirits...like red wine. :)