HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 AM   #1
Anonymous

Hi -
I lost my hair twice (had BIG WEEKLY doses of Taxol, Navelbene plus Herceptin to battle my major liver mets). We did not fool around. I went on a clinical trial to beat this. The idea was not to just shrink the tumors, but to go for a complete response then manage the disease with herceptin, zometa and celebrex. I was the first to come through the trial with the COMPLETE response.
It was not easy and I had 4 weeks to endure the drugs and mounting side effects before the next scan. The news was good and gave me the hope I needed to continue.
Make sure your onc is giving you an adequate dose to take down your tumors. Don't be afraid to take more - it could do you more good in the long run.
I am now 19 months off chemo and had good scan results a couple weeks ago. My onc is thrilled with my ability to hold my own with this demon disease. But I needed his help to get me to this point.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Jackie

Do you remember what your dosage was for the taxol and navelbine? Appreciate your comments!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Steph N.

Thought I put my name in last time!
I got Taxol at 60 mg/square meter, and Navelbine at 20 mg/sq meter. After several treatment I developed a grade 4 neutropenia (in spite of taking my G-SCF or Neupogin shots). At that point the Taxol was reduced to 50 mg. Later, as I was showing further improvement in reducing the tumors, dose was cut again. I was really slammed as it was a "dose intensification" study. Some women could not stay on the study as this was too much chemo for them - some did not survive. I was careful to eat well and organic.
Hope this is helpful. I am almost 55 now.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
Jackie

Thanks for the info...glad it produced great results for you! I printed it off for future reference. I have heard of the dose intesified program for initial treatments but not for following mets. And my name "falls off" on some posts, too.
Continued good luck to you!