HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-29-2004, 03:43 AM   #1
Dawn

Hi guys,
I have posted here a few times because my BC was her2+. Well now I have a new demon. I was just diagnosed with Melanoma. I am scared to death.
This is scarier for me than my BC.
My melanoma was 7.0mm Breslow and ClarkIV.
I am awaiting an appt. at Duke Hosp. in Durham, NC.
I was wondering if anybody here had any friends or family that had been thru this and had any encouraging words or good stories about survival.
This thing really has been scared!!!

Peace, Dawn
Old 02-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Terri

Dawn, how bizarre. I know EXACTLY what you are feeling though. I was diagnosed with BC in September 2001, went through chemo and radiation, then in May 2003 diagnosed with a melanoma on my arm. It was Breslow 4 mm, Clark IV. I had two excisions, with tumor still on the edge, so had huge excision with a skin graft, and sentinol node biopsy with mapping. They finally got it all, and the nodes were clear. But in the workup they found my BC had metastasized to liver and spine. So on one hand, I was relieved because Melanoma is so much scarier than BC, but on the other hand, now I'm dealing with metastasis. I've gone through Chemo and Herceptin, and am now on maintenance and in remission. I pray your melanoma was caught in time.
Terri
Old 03-01-2004, 03:31 AM   #3
Steph N.

Dear Dawn & Terri -
Big bummer to have this - only good thing is that with our breast cancer we tend to stay away from the sun now anyway.
Was wondering how you came to find your suspicious spot and what they are like?
Do you happen to know if there is any correlation to increased incidence for melanoma and other cancers?

One of the chaplains at my cancer center had melanoma removed three or four years ago and passes her regular checkups with flying colors.
All the best for your upcoming appt. at Duke - I understand they do good work there.