HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
marianne

This is the only link I can find at the moment re. herceptin and brain mets: in Google, type in - SABCS December 13 2001 herceptin brain - and it's the first hit.

So far, there are no results published concerning the current trial of herceptin for a year after initial treatment. I think that's still a few years away.

Vicki, here's a list of the total amount that I take daily of my supplementsI separate them into 3 doses/day):

I take a good multivitamin to cover things like B6, B12, Vitamin D, folic acid, etc.

Ip6 (4800mg) & inositol (1,200 mg) - I don't take these everyday, as they're best on an empty stomach and that's not always possible!
Beta Glucan 1000mg
Curcumin 3600mg
CoQ10 200mg
Spirulina 4500mg
milk thistle 750mg
Pancreatin enzyme - 1x1,400 before meals
Green Tea 630mg
Grapeseed 200mg
Vita. E 400
selenium 200
Flaxseed oil 1,000mg
Astraglus 1000 mg

ALSO - after reading about the cancer/sugar link, and about the theory behind the low-carb diets and high/low glycemic index foods, I eat very little sugar(I use Splenda), only organic meat, chicken, bacon, and eggs; very little dairy (and only organic), only low glycemic fruits (rasberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries), mainly low glycemic veges (broccoli,cauliflower, cabbage, asaparagus, string beans) and if I eat other high carb veges (carrots, potatoes, peas, corn) i have them with protein (this lessens the blood sugar spike).
I eat lots of salads and seafood, and have found some very good low carb breads, pasta, chocolate bars, muffin mixes.

I've lost 20 lbs since I began watching my carbs and sugar, and feel more energetic than I have in years. I don't feel deprived, eat out a lot, and best of all, the sugar in alcohol is low-carb! My husband and I love wine _ I grew up in a wine region in Australia, and now here in Washington/Oregon, wine tasting is a fun part of our lives - and I have yet to feel the need for an anti-depressant!

Hope this info. helps,
Marianne
Old 05-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Vicki

Marianne,

Thank you for taking the time to post all that wonderful information. It really means a lot to me -- you are also a wonderful person -- and I want to do as much as I can to maintain my health (although I already thought I was doing that!). My husband and I eat salmon every week and we love sushi and seafood and I eat, especially now, more kale, summer squash, etc. and like you I choose raspberries, blueberries and blackberries for my fruit choices (but I still drink o.j. and for some reason while I'm on chemo, I've had a taste for pink grapefruit).

I'm glad you told me about your choice to hold off on Herceptin. Being node-negative and yet her2-neu 3+, I was feeling anxious about not doing enough, but I also know that one must use a reasoned approach to all of this, too. By the way, my husband and I love wine, too, although I've stopped for now due to the chemo. Are you a red wine drinker?

Best to you and thanks again,

Vicki
Old 05-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Trudy

Hi Marianne,

I, too, like to eat organic food but find that I can only eat this way at home.
Where can you eat out and still have organic food?
I have never seen a restaurant menu listing
organic meats or vegetables.

Trudy