HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Allie

Hi Ladies!
I have been on Herceptin bi-weekly and Zometa every 4 weeks, seeing the Onco every 4 weeks for the past almost 6 years. My Onc now wants to change my treatments to every 3 weeks Herceptin and 6 weeks Herceptin/Zometa w/visits to see him. I am just concerned about changing my schedule seeing as I have been doing so well with my treatments. Anyone out there in my same position?
Would love to hear from you.
Allie
Old 05-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
Velva

I'm not in your situation, but been on /off chemo about every 6 mos. due to recurrences for past 5yrs.
Anyhow, sounds like your doing GREAT, my theory is "don't fix it if it's not broken." Tell your onc you're comfortable with current treatment, if he still insists on change try to get a specific answer as to why the change now? Best wishes, Velva
Old 05-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
Steph N

Allie -
This is the routine I am on - every 3 weeks Herceptin and 6 weeks Zometa. I had been on Zometa each 3 weeks for about 21 months, but we just changed that this Feb. and all seems to be fine.
(Actually I have never heard of anyone being on a 2-weeks dose, only weekly or 3 weeks for Herceptin.)
It is in answer to my question whether I still needed so much Zometa. My med onc said in light of me very clear last bone scan, he doubted that I needed that much. There had been some indeterminate lightly hazy area in my leg bones that made him decide to give me the Zometa. They are all clear now.
You will do just fine on this routine. Just will need a new loading dose of Herceptin with a different half-life.
All the best!
Old 05-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
Allie

Steph
Thanks for the input! I was the first person in my Onc's office to receive Herceptin when it was first released from the clinical trials. Its been so long ago, that I can't remember if I started every week or not! I think I may have, but then went to every 2 weeks. I keep feeling like I am "Graduating"....LOL
Old 05-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
jessica

I'm at a similar fork in the road & need to make a decision about changing my Herceptin schedule.I've been on weekly Herceptin for a year now, initially w/Taxol for the first 14 weeks, but now Herceptin alone since NED last Sept.I'd really like to switch to the q3week dose, just for a little break going to the doc EVERY WEEK, but I'm a little afraid to change a good thing.
Take good care & keep the faith!
Old 05-15-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
Allie

Jessica,
I know EXACTLY how you feel...I remember now that I was also having Herceptin everyweek when I was on Taxol, then once my scans came back clear, my Onc put me bi-weekly. It was scary, but it's almost like graduating to a new level! I am going to go to every 3 weeks starting after my next dose of Herceptin next week. I was joking to the nurses that my car would head there on it's own every week and would be confused when I didn't have to go every week! I'm sure you will do great!
Write me if you would like!
Allie
Old 05-27-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
Lynne

I have been on Herceptin q/3 weeks and Zometa q/4 weeks for over a year now. My bc mets to my hipbones last July..had 2nd round of chemo and miraculously the cancer went into remission since December My onc allowed me to change sched to having both drugs q/3 weeks due to my large insurance copay. Does anyone know if my 75% survival rate for 5 yrs has changed since the bc mets? I have read several discouraging reports.