HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
Lisa S

Studies have shown that pregancy after breast cancer helped instead of hurt someone's chances for survival. Not sure where and when I read these studies, nor do I remember all the details, but it was a reputable source (not in cosmo or anything).
Old 09-19-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
Annalise

You can go on breast cancer org. and see some of the data. I am not advocating this in any way I think it is each persons decision. My Dr. never told me what to do in that department and I never asked.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
lauren

lisa, i really don't understand how that can be. all of my doctors, including my dermatologist, have told me that pregnancy is a big stressor on the body and that hormones or not, it is risky once one has had cancer - breast or skin (in the case of my dermatologist's words).

so so so so so many women have recurred during pregnancy, and i am talking about women who were stage I, women who were DCIS!!! that tells me that the cancer lays dormant until a stressor comes and wakes it up again. just my humble opinion.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:26 AM   #4
Annalise

The reason being is there are no absolutes in science. There will always be people on both sides of the fence. I know what you are saying has merit but I know successes out their as well. Trust me I do not want to get pregnant but I know those who have and are doing well.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
Lisa S

I am not making this up. I don't offer false hope to anyone. This was an actual study and I wish I knew where I saw it. I am an RN and I can distinguish between studies that aren't noteworthy and those that are. THis was something that surprised me as well. Pregnancy after cancer was never determined (by a study) to cause mets or reduce the life expectancy of a cancer survivor. Just by thinking something is bad doesn't make it so.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
lauren

Whatever. I believe in my heart of hearts that pregnancy would be detrimental to MY body after breast cancer. That's why I had my ovaries removed after I was done with chemo. No more cycles. No more chances of pregnancy. No more fear of worsening my health. But that's me.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #7
Lisa

Some of us do not have children and want it just as much the "normal" population. ANY amount of hope helps us deal with the fact that something so precious was ripped away from us. I know I speak for all the ladies who have breast cancer and have no kids. Stating this is your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. I reiterate, there still has been NO study to suggest pregnancy causes mets or a shortened life span for survivors.