HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2004, 03:10 AM   #1
Jerri

Dear friends,

What suggestions can you give me about wigs. I had one for a previous recurrence and hated it. I am expecting my hair to fall out any day now and don't know what to do. Have any of you ordered something on-line? Thanks in advance.

Jerri
Old 09-21-2004, 06:11 AM   #2
Sheila

I know there is a great place by Chicago...very comfy and realistic..but they only sell in the store....also have your Dr. write you an order for a cranial prosthesis and your insurance will pay for most if not all of it. Blue Cross Blue Shield does.
Hugs
Sheila
Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 AM   #3
michele u

I ordered a wig from wig.com I loved it. It was a revlon wig. No one knew it was a wig. They also have petite sizes. I needed that for my small head. It fit really well. I didn't know what to expect over the internet but i really liked it!!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Cathy W

This last time I ordered a wig from an online source with a strict (5 day) return policy. I also bought one from the TLC catalog (American Cancer Sociey) for $35.00. I actually liked the TLC one better and it had a 30 return policy. The quality was the same as the one I paid $150.00 for.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Christine

I buy my wigs online at www.paulayoung.com They have beautiful styles and often have great sales.
They also have a GREAT return policy.

Hugs and well wishes
Christine
Old 09-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #6
lu ann

I bought a wig that is a blend of natural and synthetic hair. It cost around 270 dollars of which my ins. co. reimbursed 175.00. I really like the wig but don't wear it all the time. My hair did not completely fall out so I am comfortable wearing hats in public. At home I wear nothing. I'm having weekly taxol, carbo, and herc. tx. at a smaller dose, which is probably why I did not lose all of it. My hair has also started growing back in the third month of treatment. Blessings, Lu Ann.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:20 AM   #7
Patty H

I called the American Cancer place and they gave me the name of a place that specializes in wigs for cancer people. My friends and I went and she tried them on all of us. We laughed till we cried. She measured my head so my wig was ordered to fit me. I bought two, one a fun and the other a nicer one. The fun one was spiked. I liked it so well that now I wear my hair spiked. Patty H
Old 09-22-2004, 12:53 AM   #8
Bonnie

I agree. I was in an roll-over auto accident during treatment, cut my scalp and couldn't wear a wig for a week. After that, I never wore a wig. It's much more comfortable without one and the only people that seemed to notice were one little group of teenage girls that were snickering in a warehouse store. Like you said, you don't get the attention you think you deserve but it made my life much better not worrying about my wig. My husband didn't mind either which helped alot.

Bonnie
Old 09-22-2004, 04:22 AM   #9
Merridith

Hi Jerri:

I did a fair bit of research before I bought my wigs. ( I have six of them).

The most comfortable ones are called "Monotop". They have a fine mesh circle over the top of your head and the hair is hand-tied onto this mesh. You can see your scalp through the hair and it looks like the hair is growing right out of your scalp! It is nearly impossible to tell that it is a wig. You can also re-arrange the part to some extent. It is also the coolest wig to wear. - Also the bigger the monotop section, the pricier the wig (but also cooler).

I found that you had to try the wig on for fit. People's scalps and hairlines are different and you need to get the right size of wig or people can tell it's fake. I wouldn't buy off the internet unless I could for sure return it for that reason.

The cheaper fun-wigs are hotter to wear, but are the cheapest to buy. Real human hair feels the nicest, but is eye-poppingly expensive. You can buy heat-resistant wigs, but they are not super common yet. (You have to be careful pulling food out of the oven or around the BBQ or you will melt your fake hair.)

Longer hair wears out more quickly than shorter hair. You can also buy a basic wig and have a hairdresser shape the bangs to how you prefer.

Take a friend and have fun shopping!
Take care,
Merridith