HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Grace

Elizabeth Edwards, extraordinary woman!

I just finished watching the Edwards news conference regarding Elizabeth Edwards' recurrence. A year ago, it would have just been another news conference. Today, it was an extraordinarily emotional moment for me, listening to this couple who love each other so much--their love comes right off the screen. I hope she makes it for many years to come.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Audrey

I'm so sad about Elizabeth Edward's bone mets...Michele U. and I heard her speak at Lance Armstrong's Livestrong cancer survivors' summit a few months ago in Austin and she was fabulous. So warm and down-to-earth--I really hope she can find a successful treatment --I remember her saying that her cancer diagnosis was nothing compared to her son's death in a car accident at 16--hate to think of her and John suffering again. I hate this disease!

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
janet/FL

I am so sorry to hear about this. I just finished reading her book, Saving Graces, about her life and first diagnosis. She is an amazing woman and I recommend the book. Particularly for anyone who has also lost a child. I do wonder if all of the fertility drugs she took to have her youngest children may not have played a part in the cancer. But, of course, who knows. So sad.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Erin

Elizabeth Edwards - HER2 positive?

I have not read her book....was she HER2 positive?
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Becky

Also, what was her initial bc diagnosis - nodes involved, tumor size. ER/PR status. Her book must outline that.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
skeetur

I found references that she found a half dollar size lump in her breast. It was IDC. Node negative. She had chemo first to shrink it followed by surgery (lumpectomy/partial mast) and then rads.

Skeetur
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Tough times

The book didn't go into the more technical aspects of her particular diagnosis. She went to Dana-Farber initially and then Sloan-Kettering. Bone scan was negative, and a concern about mets to the liver turned out to be an angioma instead. I think she and John are very interesting people.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Man, that makes me sad. So sad! A reminder how vulnerable we all really are. This damn disease is awful BUT it can not dominate our lives unless we let it. We'll deal with what is dealt us and carry on with strength and trust in the Lord. That's all any of us can do.

Mary Jo

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
RobinP

Unhappy

I was sadden to hear of Mrs. Edwards' cancer relapse. Perhaps God will use this very public figure to bring more attention to some of the sensitive issues of bc that definitely need more public awareness.May God bless her and her family. PS Becky I did not read Saving Graces. However, I recall reading, a while back, an article in I think People Magazine that said Mrs. Edwards had stagelll bc that was I think? hormonal positive and ??her2 negative.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Lolly

Here's a link to the current issue of MAMM magazine; Elizabeth Edwards is on the cover and her story is inside, but no detailed info on type of bc. Also this issue was out before the recurrence, but still a very thoughtful interview.

MAMM
http://www.mamm.com/main.php?optjs=1
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Vicki

Elizabeth Edwards for First Lady!!

Gosh, I'm feeling like so many of you who saw Elizabeth and John Edwards on the news today. They carry amazing strength and integrity as they handle these difficult moments in their lives.

I, too, heard she was stage III, but I don't know about her er or her2 status. I did hear her mention many times her doctor's name, Dr. Lisa Cary, is this right? Perhaps, I misspelled the name.

Also, from the way Elizabeth talked, the bone cancer was on her right rear side and asymptomatic and the bone fracture or broken rib was on her left side and not cancer and was caused when she was attempting to move an antique chest and twisted her back and then later was hugged by her husband and they both heard a pop.

I think John summed up the timeline of events in an extraordinary fashion and he was quite frank when he said her condition is not curable, but treatable. I wish Elizabeth the very best in her treatment and her prognosis.

She and her husband are an amazing couple and their children are learning some powerful life lessons from these two shining examples who face situations in such a direct, open and candid way. Even with all the reporters and cameras present, they are so kind and caring and I wish them well.

Vicki Z.
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Andi

I really admire the way the Edwards have handled this. I think it is a good opportunity for the public to be made aware that a recurrence does not equate with a death sentence. Some of the news people out there are making some really off the wall comments to that regard. I know I always had that perception until my breast cancer diagnosis and finding this web site. It really opened my eyes to read about how so many of the ladies on this web site are living with mets. Now that I have joined that club, I plan to do the same. Does anyone know for sure what Mrs. Edward's Her 2 status is? I've listened to her speak on several tv shows over the years, but I never picked up on that part of her diagnosis.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
tousled1

I think that the news of her recurrence brings to the forefront what a dreadful disease breast cancer is. Each one of us here lives every day with this disease and the fear of the unknown factor of if and when we will have a recurrence. As we all know, there are many women on this site who are living with Stage IV breast cancer. I find that these women offer hope, inspiration, and support to me and make me realize that breast cancer is a chronic disease that is treatable. Hopefully Elizabeth and all of us here will have very long and productive lives.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
rinaina

My thoughts and prayers are with both Elizabeth Edwards and her entire family. This is one horrific disease and perhaps being in the public eye and in government, her experiences can do some good. I feel so deeply for her and this hits a little too close to home now for so many of us with the threat of a recurrence hanging over our heads and for those with recurrences or metastasis's already. I am so saddened to hear of another bc sister who has progressed. This is a hateful disease.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
michele u

Like Audrey said. we saw her talk in Austin. She said she was stage 3 but i still don't know if she is Her2 pos. There are alot of mixed feelings about him staying in the race. I'm sure she is telling him to keep going, but before he said he would drop out if her health changed. How does everyone feel about that? I'm not sure yet. I like the fact that they are being strong, but I'm hoping he won't someday wish he spent more time with her.

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Barbara2

I believe her Dr. advised her/them that her present condition of mets is still in an early stage...that what she has is "treatable" and that she could have many more years to live. Metastasis was described as a "chronic" condition that could be treated in much the same was as diabetis, or such diseases of this sort that are chronic. Her Dr. also explained that today we see cancer differently than we did in the past... nothing was presented in a negative light, so they feel they have every reason to press forward.

They were so positive and hopeful, that I don't think they even considered that he would not continue on in his political ambitions. She knows she will have times of being tired, and accepts the fact that she may have to step out of the picture from time to time and get rest.

He said that if at any time she should need him by her side, he would be there, no matter what. They will have millions of prayers said for them, praying for her healling. They've been blessed with a marriage filled with a kind of love that many couples will never realize.

They feel they are doing the right thing. God willilng, Mrs. Edwards will be with her family for a long, long time.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #17
lu ann

Three years ago, just before my 48th Birthday I didn't think I would live more then 6 months. Today I celebrated my 51st Birthday since being DX February 6, 2004. I too have the mets to my bones, which is supposed to be a more treatable area. I wish them all the best. Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #18
G. Ann

One remark I heard Elizabeth Edwards make today was about how aches and pain after her diagnosis and treatment (paraphrasing) "put me on alert, wondering if cancer is coming back." I'm sure we all can identify with that. She also commented on how she is grateful for the cracked/broken rib as it revealed the problem sooner since she was not experiencing any other symptoms.

Most of the news coverage I heard was very positive for her treatment. Even if she isn't HER2 neu positive, Elizabeth would be very encouraged to read the posts on this website from the women who are Stage IV and are commited to fighting BC and living well.

I bought a card that has a verse by Emily Dickinson. It reads:
Hope is a strange invention--A patent of the heart--In unremitting action, Yet Never Wearing Out.
Stage 2, 0/18 nodes
TX 4 AC (no taxanes, no radiation)
Hysterectomy 10/04
Began Herceptin 1/06, finished 1/07
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
MGordon

You think she's an extraordinary woman...

... all I can say is look no further than right here! God bless John and Elizabeth Edwards, and I will pray for the entire family - but look around. The most extraordinary women I have EVER met/heard are right here!

I thank God for the privledge of knowing you all!

Love and Light
Mel
Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #20
Grace

With respect to Michele's question, I think Elizabeth and John Edwards' decision to go ahead makes complete sense. If he stopped now, they would both be at home together waiting for "that horrible" thing to happen. This way they're together on the campaign trail most days and more important she's busy all the time, not thinking about cancer. In many ways I wish I had been working at something different when I was diagnosed, rather than at home writing. I became consumed, crusing the internet looking at cancer sites, reading about cancer, thinking about cancer. She won't have time to do that, will still get her treatments, and whatever happens, happens. I wouldn't mind at all running for First Lady.