HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Elizabeth Edwards, extraordinary woman! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27477)

Grace 03-22-2007 10:06 AM

Elizabeth Edwards, extraordinary woman!

I just finished watching the Edwards news conference regarding Elizabeth Edwards' recurrence. A year ago, it would have just been another news conference. Today, it was an extraordinarily emotional moment for me, listening to this couple who love each other so much--their love comes right off the screen. I hope she makes it for many years to come.

Audrey 03-22-2007 10:16 AM

I'm so sad about Elizabeth Edward's bone mets...Michele U. and I heard her speak at Lance Armstrong's Livestrong cancer survivors' summit a few months ago in Austin and she was fabulous. So warm and down-to-earth--I really hope she can find a successful treatment --I remember her saying that her cancer diagnosis was nothing compared to her son's death in a car accident at 16--hate to think of her and John suffering again. I hate this disease!

janet/FL 03-22-2007 10:23 AM

I am so sorry to hear about this. I just finished reading her book, Saving Graces, about her life and first diagnosis. She is an amazing woman and I recommend the book. Particularly for anyone who has also lost a child. I do wonder if all of the fertility drugs she took to have her youngest children may not have played a part in the cancer. But, of course, who knows. So sad.

Erin 03-22-2007 10:57 AM

Elizabeth Edwards - HER2 positive?

I have not read her book....was she HER2 positive?

Becky 03-22-2007 11:28 AM

Also, what was her initial bc diagnosis - nodes involved, tumor size. ER/PR status. Her book must outline that.

skeetur 03-22-2007 12:00 PM

I found references that she found a half dollar size lump in her breast. It was IDC. Node negative. She had chemo first to shrink it followed by surgery (lumpectomy/partial mast) and then rads.

Skeetur

AlaskaAngel 03-22-2007 12:01 PM

Tough times

The book didn't go into the more technical aspects of her particular diagnosis. She went to Dana-Farber initially and then Sloan-Kettering. Bone scan was negative, and a concern about mets to the liver turned out to be an angioma instead. I think she and John are very interesting people.

A.A.

Mary Jo 03-22-2007 12:30 PM

Man, that makes me sad. So sad! A reminder how vulnerable we all really are. This damn disease is awful BUT it can not dominate our lives unless we let it. We'll deal with what is dealt us and carry on with strength and trust in the Lord. That's all any of us can do.

Mary Jo

RobinP 03-22-2007 01:14 PM

I was sadden to hear of Mrs. Edwards' cancer relapse. Perhaps God will use this very public figure to bring more attention to some of the sensitive issues of bc that definitely need more public awareness.May God bless her and her family. PS Becky I did not read Saving Graces. However, I recall reading, a while back, an article in I think People Magazine that said Mrs. Edwards had stagelll bc that was I think? hormonal positive and ??her2 negative.

Lolly 03-22-2007 02:34 PM

Here's a link to the current issue of MAMM magazine; Elizabeth Edwards is on the cover and her story is inside, but no detailed info on type of bc. Also this issue was out before the recurrence, but still a very thoughtful interview.

MAMM
http://www.mamm.com/main.php?optjs=1

Vicki 03-22-2007 04:13 PM

Elizabeth Edwards for First Lady!!

Gosh, I'm feeling like so many of you who saw Elizabeth and John Edwards on the news today. They carry amazing strength and integrity as they handle these difficult moments in their lives.

I, too, heard she was stage III, but I don't know about her er or her2 status. I did hear her mention many times her doctor's name, Dr. Lisa Cary, is this right? Perhaps, I misspelled the name.

Also, from the way Elizabeth talked, the bone cancer was on her right rear side and asymptomatic and the bone fracture or broken rib was on her left side and not cancer and was caused when she was attempting to move an antique chest and twisted her back and then later was hugged by her husband and they both heard a pop.

I think John summed up the timeline of events in an extraordinary fashion and he was quite frank when he said her condition is not curable, but treatable. I wish Elizabeth the very best in her treatment and her prognosis.

She and her husband are an amazing couple and their children are learning some powerful life lessons from these two shining examples who face situations in such a direct, open and candid way. Even with all the reporters and cameras present, they are so kind and caring and I wish them well.

Vicki Z.

Andi 03-22-2007 06:42 PM

I really admire the way the Edwards have handled this. I think it is a good opportunity for the public to be made aware that a recurrence does not equate with a death sentence. Some of the news people out there are making some really off the wall comments to that regard. I know I always had that perception until my breast cancer diagnosis and finding this web site. It really opened my eyes to read about how so many of the ladies on this web site are living with mets. Now that I have joined that club, I plan to do the same. Does anyone know for sure what Mrs. Edward's Her 2 status is? I've listened to her speak on several tv shows over the years, but I never picked up on that part of her diagnosis.

tousled1 03-22-2007 07:51 PM

I think that the news of her recurrence brings to the forefront what a dreadful disease breast cancer is. Each one of us here lives every day with this disease and the fear of the unknown factor of if and when we will have a recurrence. As we all know, there are many women on this site who are living with Stage IV breast cancer. I find that these women offer hope, inspiration, and support to me and make me realize that breast cancer is a chronic disease that is treatable. Hopefully Elizabeth and all of us here will have very long and productive lives.

rinaina 03-22-2007 08:22 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with both Elizabeth Edwards and her entire family. This is one horrific disease and perhaps being in the public eye and in government, her experiences can do some good. I feel so deeply for her and this hits a little too close to home now for so many of us with the threat of a recurrence hanging over our heads and for those with recurrences or metastasis's already. I am so saddened to hear of another bc sister who has progressed. This is a hateful disease.

michele u 03-22-2007 08:27 PM

Like Audrey said. we saw her talk in Austin. She said she was stage 3 but i still don't know if she is Her2 pos. There are alot of mixed feelings about him staying in the race. I'm sure she is telling him to keep going, but before he said he would drop out if her health changed. How does everyone feel about that? I'm not sure yet. I like the fact that they are being strong, but I'm hoping he won't someday wish he spent more time with her.

Barbara2 03-22-2007 08:59 PM

I believe her Dr. advised her/them that her present condition of mets is still in an early stage...that what she has is "treatable" and that she could have many more years to live. Metastasis was described as a "chronic" condition that could be treated in much the same was as diabetis, or such diseases of this sort that are chronic. Her Dr. also explained that today we see cancer differently than we did in the past... nothing was presented in a negative light, so they feel they have every reason to press forward.

They were so positive and hopeful, that I don't think they even considered that he would not continue on in his political ambitions. She knows she will have times of being tired, and accepts the fact that she may have to step out of the picture from time to time and get rest.

He said that if at any time she should need him by her side, he would be there, no matter what. They will have millions of prayers said for them, praying for her healling. They've been blessed with a marriage filled with a kind of love that many couples will never realize.

They feel they are doing the right thing. God willilng, Mrs. Edwards will be with her family for a long, long time.

lu ann 03-22-2007 10:00 PM

Three years ago, just before my 48th Birthday I didn't think I would live more then 6 months. Today I celebrated my 51st Birthday since being DX February 6, 2004. I too have the mets to my bones, which is supposed to be a more treatable area. I wish them all the best. Lu Ann

G. Ann 03-22-2007 10:02 PM

One remark I heard Elizabeth Edwards make today was about how aches and pain after her diagnosis and treatment (paraphrasing) "put me on alert, wondering if cancer is coming back." I'm sure we all can identify with that. She also commented on how she is grateful for the cracked/broken rib as it revealed the problem sooner since she was not experiencing any other symptoms.

Most of the news coverage I heard was very positive for her treatment. Even if she isn't HER2 neu positive, Elizabeth would be very encouraged to read the posts on this website from the women who are Stage IV and are commited to fighting BC and living well.

I bought a card that has a verse by Emily Dickinson. It reads:
Hope is a strange invention--A patent of the heart--In unremitting action, Yet Never Wearing Out.

MGordon 03-22-2007 10:07 PM

You think she's an extraordinary woman...

... all I can say is look no further than right here! God bless John and Elizabeth Edwards, and I will pray for the entire family - but look around. The most extraordinary women I have EVER met/heard are right here!

I thank God for the privledge of knowing you all!

Love and Light
Mel

Grace 03-23-2007 06:15 AM

With respect to Michele's question, I think Elizabeth and John Edwards' decision to go ahead makes complete sense. If he stopped now, they would both be at home together waiting for "that horrible" thing to happen. This way they're together on the campaign trail most days and more important she's busy all the time, not thinking about cancer. In many ways I wish I had been working at something different when I was diagnosed, rather than at home writing. I became consumed, crusing the internet looking at cancer sites, reading about cancer, thinking about cancer. She won't have time to do that, will still get her treatments, and whatever happens, happens. I wouldn't mind at all running for First Lady.